Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Got into an accident!!! help...

Old 10-01-2003, 06:15 PM
KrN pReLuDe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got into an accident!!! help...

ok.. i just got into an accident a few hours ago.. i got rear ended.. so it should be 100% their fault.. i've never experienced this kinda situation before and i just want to know about a couple things..

i got the other party's info including everything on her insurance company card, her driver's license and her phone number.. my question is which way is the best to go? should i contact my insurance company about this accident and let my insurance company contact her insurance company and deal with everything? or should i just deal with her by myself? if she wants to pay it through insurance, do i have to contact my insurance company too? and since the lady doesn't speak english very well, would it be better to send her a letter with the estimate? right after we got into accident, she was kinda forcing me to take my car to this body shop (she can probably get discounts there) but i didn't go because it was too far from my area.. do i have the right to get my car fixed anywhere i want? btw, the damage isn't too bad.. it's not very noticeable but there's still imperfections on the rear bumper and it kinda pisses me off.. my license cover is broken so i definitely need to replace it.. i already got the estimate and i just wanted to ask you guys here first before i take actions..

o btw.. my friend got into an accident a long time ago and got a new body kit with the money he got from the other party's insurance company.. how can this happen?

thanks in advance..
Old 10-01-2003, 06:18 PM
HawtPants
the one and only

call up your insurance and give them all the info.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:18 PM
Derek
you motorboatin' s.o.b.

contact your insurance co. and give them all her info.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:25 PM
Jessica
ch1x0r

you want to buy a body kit with the insurance money :eh:
Old 10-01-2003, 06:28 PM
KrN pReLuDe

Originally posted by 99civic_love
you want to buy a body kit with the insurance money :eh:
did i ever say i want to? i already got a body kit and i don't need one.. i was asking how could it happen?

so i just need to contact my insurance comp. and give them all the info? thanks guys..
Old 10-01-2003, 06:45 PM
NoRiCeHeRe

Like Derek said contact your insurance company and let them deal with it. Thats why you pay them the big bucks anyway's. :thumbup: That way you won't get screwed over if you try to work it out on your own. Not saying you don't know anything but there are lots of shady people out there.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:52 PM
whoaitslen2
hermit

call your insurance company and give them all her info
Old 10-01-2003, 06:56 PM
MPerson

When you get in an accident, you swap info and give the indo to the insurance company. When you get an estimate (good idea to go to the dealership, cause they overcharge) send it to your insurance company and they'll give you that amount. You then goto a cheaper place to get the car fixed and are able to spend the money you have left over.

OBTW, make sure you don't go to the dealership if you think the price to fix it might be over the book value of your car, then the title will be denounced as totalled.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:09 PM
KrN pReLuDe

o i have another question.. what happens if her car is not insured or my car is not insured? if my car is not insured, will i still be able to get the damage fixed by her insurance company? if her car is not insured and she doesn't have enough money for the damage, what do i do? (i have insurance btw.. i just wanna know more about this stuff)

[edit] thanks for the helpful info guys.. i really appreciate it..
Old 10-01-2003, 07:13 PM
MPerson

If you don't have insurance, and you gave her your info, you'll be arrested if she gives your info to her insurance company. And vice versa. If she didn't have insurance, you can sue her and get you're money's worth, plus extra if you sue for out-of-work time.

EDIT: I think the insurance company will actually sue them for you.