Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

after doing some research, not everyone is able to survive making minimum wage

Old 09-29-2003, 11:34 PM
My_Accord
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by NOPD
the answer is welfare...and living in the projacks

So me and the other hard working people can work to pay for someone to sit on their butt and do nothing and get our money????

Gretest moment in welfare history:

Was watching years ago when Clinton was going to lowere/cut welfare and the news was talking to a lady. she replied

"I hope he dont cut welfare. my baby has to sleep inthe box our new color TV just came in."

IMO I think welfare shoudl be a Temp help. a person should not be alowed to have it for more then 6-12 months at a time then they should be required to wait 6-12 months to re-apply.

JMO
Old 09-29-2003, 11:49 PM
sinthetiq

often times the minimum wage is lower than the living wage. theres nothing new about that.

to rent an apartment, a person would need a deposit. if they were living paycheck to paycheck, itd be hard to save enough money for that. theres also health costs, insurance, transportation, food, etc.

oh, and as for raising the minimum wage--results would probably more unemployment.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:55 PM
b00gers

Originally posted by sinthetiq

oh, and as for raising the minimum wage--results would probably more unemployment.
how come?
Old 09-29-2003, 11:57 PM
sinthetiq

Originally posted by WiLL
how come?
employers suffer as a result of a higher minimum wage. theres only so much money
Old 09-30-2003, 12:00 AM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by sinthetiq
employers suffer as a result of a higher minimum wage. theres only so much money

Except employers are forced to pay a higher minimum wage because people being paid minimum wage cannot survive off the current rate.

But when min wage goes up then so does the general cost of living which means the wage increase is the same as previous earnings.

Which means employers have to pay a higher min wage....

etc. etc. etc.

Its a vicious circle and we keep driving our own costs up by putting a patch on a bigger problem but never fixing the actual problem.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:01 AM
HawtPants
the one and only

min wage up $2 and so does everything else. without the crap load of underpaid workers we would all be lazy europeans
Old 09-30-2003, 12:08 AM
b00gers

so where is the solution? people shouldnt have to live in the conditions that they live in. is there even a solution? or is this just the way life is? some people work their ass off and dont get anything, while other people work and live in houses too big for them.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:11 AM
sinthetiq

Originally posted by WiLL
so where is the solution? people shouldnt have to live in the conditions that they live in. is there even a solution? or is this just the way life is? some people work their ass off and dont get anything, while other people work and live in houses too big for them.
thats just how it is. if someone had the answer, theyd win the nobel peace prize. jus take a look at communism.. that was an attempt at a 'solution'
Old 09-30-2003, 12:17 AM
Dimi

Prices are going up. Tax is going up. Wages are still the same. Do you think you can survive on your own, COMPLETELY, on minimum wage? I remember graduates making GOOD $$ still having problems. It builds up. Rent, utility bills, car bills, food, repairs, clothing, necessities, etc...it doesn't seem much but everytime I open my parents mailbox, there's another bill. Kinda scares me and puts it all into perspective that your ass better go to school to make enough $$ not to be too worried on making it. My parents are making it and making it comfortable, thank god. Down here in south TX minimum is $5.25. Everything is cheap down here. I pay insurance, liability, for $40/month. Rent down here for a 2 bedroom apt. not new but not old in good condition is about $400. Vehicles are cheap. Repairs are cheap, I live by the border of Mexico and Mexico has decent mechanics for cheap ass prices. Etc...but not even with minimum wage you can make it. I was making $7/hr starting off for AT&T Broadband down here and it was about $500-$600 every 2 weeks. Off $250-$300 a week I can live on my own, but if I ever lose that job, I'm down and out. Plus you don't save much if your on your own COMPLETELY from telephone bills, cell phone bills, eletricity, water, cable, broadband, food, etc...I was doing these calculations b/c I was going to move out of my house and live with my ex-girl and move in together, thank god I came to my senses and broke up with her and go out of her majic spell she placed on me, haha. But, IMO...
Old 09-30-2003, 06:17 AM
LiLRexen

Originally posted by My_Accord
So me and the other hard working people can work to pay for someone to sit on their butt and do nothing and get our money????

Gretest moment in welfare history:

Was watching years ago when Clinton was going to lowere/cut welfare and the news was talking to a lady. she replied

"I hope he dont cut welfare. my baby has to sleep inthe box our new color TV just came in."

IMO I think welfare shoudl be a Temp help. a person should not be alowed to have it for more then 6-12 months at a time then they should be required to wait 6-12 months to re-apply.

JMO
I am considered a "welfare mom" and I work around 30 hours a week and am starting school in January on top of that. If I could get a sitter that didn't cost an arm and a leg I'd work nights and weekends too to try and make ends meet. A lot of the people who live in this neighborhood piss me off, laying out in lawn chairs getting a tan when I'm on my way to work. But also, there's a lot of single moms who work full time and are struggling to keep their heads above water. Please don't lump everyone getting assistance from social services together. It's enough of a blow to my pride as it is that I can't take care of my son on my own.