Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Went to Maui. Took some pics. Sharing pics.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:34 PM
b00gers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went to Maui. Took some pics. Sharing pics.

So I just came back from Maui. In this thread you will find pictures and commentary. Since I went around asking people about the island trying to get information and opinions, I thought it might be helpful to do the same for people who might want to go there.

I think to get the most out of Maui, you have to research and plan. I am naturally detailed oriented and much of a planner…so this is something that I would do anyway. If you want to just hit it up to relax and have fun, you might not need to plan. If you want to see the sights and make the most out of your days there, then you should.

If you are unfamiliar with the island or don’t know what you want to or can do there, pick up a book on it at B&N or Amazon. We picked up “Maui Revealed.” It was suggest to us by several people and came in very handy. It showed us some “must see” spots and gave reviews on companies and eateries. Since Maui is just a huge tourist spot, everyone is competing for your money; service and cost will greatly vary between companies. And a quick tip on money, try not to book anything from here…there are tons of coupon books when you get there. It will give you a better chance to shop around.

We stayed at Lahaina, which is in the western part of Maui. Here you will find a robust downtown area with LOTS of food and shops. I think this is a good area to stay in because it is within walking distance from restaurants and the waterfront. It is not close enough to walk to beaches though. We stayed here specially, http://www.outrigger.com/hotels_detail.aspx?hotel=102. I highly recommend them. We got them through a package deal from Orbitz, but prices are $200+ a night. They ended up giving us a 2 bed 2 bath condo, which I saw went from $350 a night. The place is beautiful and the service is awesome. I mean I personally haven’t stayed at many super nice hotels…but I certainly was satisfied with this place. By the end of this summer, they should be finished with their other pools.

We came to the island through OGG, Kahului Airport. It is about 30-40 minutes from Lahaina depending on the traffic. The whole island is basically traveled through by a set of main highways that outline the edge, and a few that run through the cleavage. The highways are slower paced and are mostly single lane. I was warned that the whole attitude there is that there no rush for anything. That means that everything is just slower. It took me a day or two to adjust to this…but it felt good. After all, it is a vacation.

Ok, on to the pictures and what we did.

On the plane. It was my first time on one. Kinda loses its novelty quick.

On the way to where we are staying

When we first got there, we drove around and checked out the downtown area and looked for a supermarket. We had about 3 hours to kill before we could check in. Let me tell you…shit is EXPENSIVE! A 24 pack of water is $12. A jug of orange juice is $8. A bag of chips is $4. We shopped for food since we didn’t want to eat out all the time. It was good to save some money and also to get a home cooked meal.

Here is the view from the condo parking lot. What you see there is the Iao Valley. It looks dope. There is always a cloud above…looks so cool and calming

I don’t see much of this in the Bay. It was quite a sight.

Our living room for the week.

Treez

So the first thing we did was the road to Hana. This is the twisty road with tons of shit to stop and see. If you plan to do this, I suggest you start early. We left our place around 7am. Keep in mind that the road is curvy and there will be lots of people on it. Expect to max out at about 25 mph. There are also tons of one lane (for both way) bridges. You will have to stop and yield at those places. Be sure to plan out where you would want to stop. You can find places in books or online. You can also take a tour bus (lame). You are basically driving through the rain forest. You will see waterfalls and naturally collections of water. Some will be deep enough for you to swim in. And a handful, you can see crazy people diving from 50ft above into them!

A small place we stopped at. Had a pool and small waterfall at the end.

A nice to get away from the city and just sit there listening to nature.

Tripod came in handy at times. I can give a better review if anyone cares.

Rainforest

It will also lead you to more secluded beaches. This one had black sand. Pretty neato.

Black sand…err rocks.

Cool tree.

Passed by a waterfall

We stopped at a beach to have lunch also. Water was too crazy for me to get any further

We also stopped at the National Park which had a KICK ASS view of the ocean. Leading there were pools of water that drained down into other pools till it reached the ocean. Here, people were diving off of cliffs. This place got crowded. Camera was in the car…so no pics.

Next we drove the other direction. We went north. It was a similar thing, having to drive and pull off the road to check out sites. But where, it was less rain forest and more of cliffs and the ocean.

People liked to stack rocks :dunno:

Or arrange rocks :dunno:

The views were just awesome. You can just sit there and waste away a couple hours. The wind really picks up though.

Here we stopped at the blowhole. It’s a place where the ocean undercuts the shore…and there happened to be a hole there. So under the right conditions, the pressure from incoming waves forces water out the hole. It got pretty high sometimes. It was about a 10 minute hike through wicked rocks to get down the cliff to get next to it though.

GF knows burst mode it seems

GF

More rocks and views

The windy was nuts up there. I had to hold on to something

On the drive up you see the different soil. There was a place with rich orange soil…then right after, a nice rich red. It was sweeeeet. I wore a towel on my neck for the rest of the trip. My neck is fucked up good from the sun right now.

Red!

If you don’t want to charter a boat to snorkel, there are plenty of local places near the shore. Like here.

We also hit up the most awesome beach that I have been to. I cant believe that the ocean can be this clear. People were snorkeling out here too.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:34 PM
b00gers

I took swimming lessons just so I can enjoy the water more. Yea, I know…I am about 5ft from the shore…but still

Da Rude - Sandstorm

We also went to the Ocean Center. Pretty cool. But really small.

We also hit up a Luau. The food was just too good. The open bar drinks…sucked. The entertainment…if you like hula girls…you’ll like it. Worth the $100 ticket? No. I would pay maybe $50.

TOOOOOOOOO bad this pic came out like this. She was very beautiful.

Locals craving stuff to rip the tourists off. Yea, I bought one

The pig. Pulled pork is good.

This is the shit.

Only if there was a cold beer in my hand.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:39 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

1st thought: OMG, took forever to load. Things would've come to a complete halt back when I used dial-up.

2nd: Beautiful pics, well done

I think it's neat that you have a friend in the witness protection program.

:chuckles:
Old 07-17-2007, 11:47 PM
RicoD
Pull my finger

Nice pics dude

Tell me about the tripod h:
Old 07-17-2007, 11:51 PM
94civicEX
I got worms.

Looks like you had fun man , jealous.

duck squad member #00003
Old 07-17-2007, 11:52 PM
b00gers

Heres the small version of the tripod for $7. Thanks :rick:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...TRIPOD&cpc=SCH

Info here
http://www.joby.com/

Its basically a small tripod that allows you to wrap the legs around stationary objects, and bend the legs in ways to balance the camera on non-flat or even surfaces. I had both the smaller and SLR model. The smaller model works great if you have a light camera, the Canon SD400 we had worked perfectly with it. It does what it claims to do. It is however unsteady in the wind. Kinda given though.

The SLR one we had works well when it stood on 3 legs. Again it does what it claims. But at any point the tripod is horizonal, if you want to take a portrait framed pictured, the camera will tilt down because of the font lens. I used it on a D70 with the kit lens. The lens was too heavy I guess. I think it would work much better if the head of the tripod had some kinda lock. And again...I wouldnt trust it in windy conditions.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:54 PM
aux
More Black on Black Crime

nice pics diew. i could totally just become one with nature for hours and stuff. i gotta go
Old 07-17-2007, 11:55 PM
b00gers

If you like nature, youll love it. There are so many different types of terrains there. It is kinda sad that tourism has turned this place to what it is now. But hey...kinda a guilty pleasure for me
Old 07-17-2007, 11:56 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Do they still call the major highways "interstates"?
Old 07-17-2007, 11:58 PM
agent87
Need zzzzz's

Awesome pics Will. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. Makes me want to visit again... :hs:

How long did you stay? The place you guys stayed in looks really nice.

Did the rental car company say that they didn't want you driving in that north-western part of the island above Lahaina? I remember that being an issue a few years ago but my brother and I did it anyway. h: