Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

NYC Hopes to Make Too Expensive to Drive

Old 06-08-2007, 11:01 AM
canada

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nelson
If you're making $75K a year and "struggling" you're doing something wrong.
my friend just went up there. she's living LES on $31k appx a year.

SHE'S struggling. surviving though. sharing a 2 bedroom. decent area too.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Civic2Scooby

I don't see it as a bad thing. London has the same thing and its not that big of a deal.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:11 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

Originally Posted by Civic2Scooby
I don't see it as a bad thing. London has the same thing and its not that big of a deal.
werd, london has been doing it for a couple years now, don't hear tons of people bitching about it there

it makes sense, the population of NYC is growing, and traffic is bad as it is ... gotta do something or your only going to have worse problems
Old 06-08-2007, 11:12 AM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by v6_accord_jerz
It's ashame that people who try and make a decent living are forced to spend more money/time. The poor get poorer and the rich get richer, soon there will be no "middle class". Even people that make $40k/year are struggling to keep up.
yeah struggling to keep up with the Jones's. 40k dollars is still a decent chunk of change to LIVE on. Most of america is too caught up in plasma screens and 87 inch rims so they live outside their means to look better off than they are.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:23 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Originally Posted by Bishop
I dont really think so. My boy makes about $150,000 a year and after rent taking care of his nephew and food he dos'nt have much left. You got to think if you work a high end job you have to buy high end clothes to match
F that. I know plenty of people with 7 figures in the bank who shop at Men's Wearhouse.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bishop
You got to think if you work a high end job you have to buy high end clothes to match
That's horse shit. If that's your philosophy then that should answer your question on why you think people can't make it on a decent salary.

Look at Warren Buffet.
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 06-08-2007, 03:31 PM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

Originally Posted by Civic2Scooby
yeah struggling to keep up with the Jones's. 40k dollars is still a decent chunk of change to LIVE on. Most of america is too caught up in plasma screens and 87 inch rims so they live outside their means to look better off than they are.
Depends on the situation also. My dad makes about that much and with all his bills he barely has anything left. I help out with what I can, that's why I stay home and help out cause he's also not in good health either. Last month he really considered declaring bankruptcy cause it was too much for him. We cut back on alot of things we used to have.

But if you're single and making that much and struggling then I agree, you're a moron.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by canada
my friend just went up there. she's living LES on $31k appx a year.

SHE'S struggling. surviving though. sharing a 2 bedroom. decent area too.
Exactly my point. At $31K, after tax that is about $22K a year. At $75k, at the very least that's $48k after tax. If you "struggle" surviving on that, then you need to get your head examined.

I have friends that used to live at the offices because they don't have money to rent a place. THAT is struggling.
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 06-08-2007, 03:40 PM
canada

Originally Posted by Nelson
Exactly my point. At $31K, after tax that is about $22K a year. At $75k, at the very least that's $48k after tax. If you "struggle" surviving on that, then you need to get your head examined.

I have friends that used to live at the offices because they don't have money to rent a place. THAT is struggling.
Yep. I did my taxes for last year and I am astonished how I am still alive, with stuff, a roof, and I dont weigh like 103lbs from starvation.

People are too used to the lavish lifestyles. I cut back on the extras and I have a modest little savings even.

This girl has an Advertising job, dresses nice, business casual, goes out and live on the Lower East Side... not too shabby.

I wish I could live there. I actually got offered 2 oppertunities if I was interested. But i'd need to live in Queens or Brooklyn most likely. The reason i'd move to NYC would be to live in Manhatten and live that whole experience, so its not worth it to me.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by v6_accord_jerz
Depends on the situation also. My dad makes about that much and with all his bills he barely has anything left. I help out with what I can, that's why I stay home and help out cause he's also not in good health either. Last month he really considered declaring bankruptcy cause it was too much for him. We cut back on alot of things we used to have.

But if you're single and making that much and struggling then I agree, you're a moron.
oh yeah I was talking about somebody single, I should have been more specific.