Notices

Civic EG upper control arm SOLID bushings.. OMS

Old 07-04-2003, 11:25 PM
JinMTVT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys!

ok yes there will be spherical bearing kits avaible "soon"
( if it was only for me it would already be .. heeh )

the prices will be very very interesting compared to what is offered elsewhere.. ( well for what u can actually find )
and it will be a more intelligent kit that any parts could be replaced if it wears instead of having to buy a complete new kit and control arms each time..

then the material we use is somewhat special

It is as tough as aluminum but is also self lubricated
so that everytime a micron of it's surface uses there is some lubricant released ( oil and teflon mostly)

here is a picture of the surface zommed in a micro :

the material as a crazy friction coefficient,and wears 54 times slower than Delrin that is commonly used for this kind of application!

so when installing, we suggest a complete lubrification with any type of automotive grease, and it should be good for 1-2 years without relubrification depending on where u live
( canada = winter = salt = uses faster )

on a racing car, u can use just a little touch of grease on the installation and never touch it again ..

hope this clarify things a little

( you have to excuse my poor english grammar )

just to add to the discussion ..
we also have a solid rear sway bar bushing/holder kit in development..
it permits the use of an ITR (22mm-23mm) rear sway bar using our self lubricated material ( = never squeaks!! )
and removes all the flex that there is with the stock or polys bushings

also working on steering rack and rod ends enchancements..

lots of folks are running the cars low and they need to reset the bump steer curves but we can't move the steering rack up by 2-3inches so something else needs to be designed!
then when the car is lowered, the bump steer characs changes in a way that the action doesn't start from lined up ..
so we get jerky toe control when entering turns!

lots of things to do, so little ressources ... ( time and $$$ )
Old 07-05-2003, 05:26 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd imagine it harshens up the ride a bit over bumps/chuckholes? ....Not that I really care about ride. I'd consider them for autocross. Sounds like they'd make suspension tuning a bit more straightforward.

So are the OEM bushings and Skunk2 bushings identical, or at least the same dimensions? Its the same solid bushing for either application?

Looks pretty cool.:thumbup:
Old 07-05-2003, 08:24 PM
qtiger

Skunk2 bushings are not OEM, and I've heard (RUMOR ALERT!!! RUMOR ALERT!!!) of some people who've had problems with them under extreme use. Just mutterings from H-T's road race forum.
Old 07-05-2003, 08:26 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

skunk2 ball joints seem to deteriorate or fail under racing conditions so i've seen.
Old 07-05-2003, 09:24 PM
JinMTVT

skunk have wich bushings?

the only experience with skunk suspension products i personally have is on our sponsored racing type R in G-AM cup
we are using their upper front control arm with adjustable ball joint type ..
there was no bushing with the kit though, you have to use the stock honda retainers and bushings, so that is why my solid bushins fit directly in it.

gee..can't find a picture of it .. it's red and the ball joint slides forth and back on the control arm, and it is retained by alen key screws...not the best design but it's easy adjustability and good range made it really nice to use ..

white_n_slow:

there is no annoying sounds or stifness from only changing the upper control arm bushings on the roads, the rest of the suspension is still on soft joints and the spring/shock pretty much absorbs all the movements..
though if using all metal suspension + our upper control arm bushings there will be some disagrement on the roads...

yes indeed, by using our solid bushings you continue improving the car's supension ... we have to see the chassis/suspension as a unique object and not as seperate components..
so each improvement you make on 1 part, improves the work of all the other parts linked to it...

let's say that you buy custom konis for 1500$USD ...
install them on the car, then get ERS springs at a specific rate that you designed the car to work with ..
but are still using "soft" "compliant" bushings all around the car..
this means that the 1500$ shocks, won't be able to do their job as they are supposed to...because everything is going to lack precision, and all the suspension links are going to complye and deflect with every movements..
and then there is also the improved feeling and steering control associated with going from soft to solid links..

when we installed our full spherical bearing prototype on the BRT ITR, both drivers noticed that the car was extremely precise all of the sudden and that every movement of the tires/suspension,chassis was felt on the steering...
also we were able to save more than 0.5degree of camber at static setup.. wich improves accel and braking perfs!