Notices

AEM V2 intake w/ Turbo

Old 08-15-2006, 01:03 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i still say go N/A this is a relativily new car that you are wanting to last for the next few years... plus an NA setup can be broght back to stock quite easily, or can even be passed off as stock.

you'll be looking at 3-4k once you are done and on the street. and then the repair bills will be thorugh the roof when stuff does go wrong (as they commonly do with turbo builds)
Old 08-15-2006, 02:19 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DLee
I've heard a lot of different opinions about all of these turbo kits and from what i've read HKS is by far the worst. Greddy was one of the best and Cybernation i was told has a lot of mechanical problems. Where they fry rings and all types of stuff... my problem is i dont know which to go with. I know theres not a perfect co. to go with but i would like to cut my losses as much as possible. I went to Precision Turbo.net and they have a turbocharger that pushes about 480 max... i dont need anything more than that. but i guess i'm going to have to just make my own decision arent i? but i'll look into Cybernation more. Thanks
Fried rings are not the turbo kit's fault. It is because of either a worn motor or a shitty tuner/engine management system.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:21 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by sherwood
plus an NA setup can be broght back to stock quite easily, or can even be passed off as stock.
I don't know what you are thinking of, but a serious N/A setup is not easy to return to stock. A basic bolt-on turbo kit is a million times easier to remove than ripping the engine apart to get all the upgraded internals out like you would have to on an N/A build.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:55 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Däs Schmoo
I don't know what you are thinking of, but a serious N/A setup is not easy to return to stock. A basic bolt-on turbo kit is a million times easier to remove than ripping the engine apart to get all the upgraded internals out like you would have to on an N/A build.

i'm talking mild N/A

the RSX has many oppertunities to increase power across the band. with simple ECU upgrades and boltons someone can gain massive power to the wheels. hondata expects 20 over stock at the peak, i'd expect in realistic circumstances 15.

are we in agreement that a turbo setup is probably the least reliable option, sans supercharger.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:16 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by sherwood
i'm talking mild N/A

the RSX has many oppertunities to increase power across the band. with simple ECU upgrades and boltons someone can gain massive power to the wheels. hondata expects 20 over stock at the peak, i'd expect in realistic circumstances 15.

are we in agreement that a turbo setup is probably the least reliable option, sans supercharger.
Stock with bolt-ons.

With a quality kit and a good tune, I strongly believe a turbo setup can be just as reliable as N/A while makes gobs more power. It all comes down to how much is invested into the project to make sure no corners are cut.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:25 PM
DLee

what kind of problems are included with a turbo build on a stock motor??
i need to do this right because i dont have money to throw around and i need my car to get to work... maybe i should just go cai, headers, and cat... with ecu. what do you think...
Old 08-16-2006, 08:44 AM
1turbodc2
got boost?

Originally Posted by DLee
what kind of problems are included with a turbo build on a stock motor??
i need to do this right because i dont have money to throw around and i need my car to get to work... maybe i should just go cai, headers, and cat... with ecu. what do you think...

if u are on a tight budget turbo is NOT for u, and by the way Cybernation makes one of the shittiest turbo kits... stick with you I/h/e and call it a day, until u either A makin enough money to waste on teh car, or B u have a nice bank account as is...
Old 08-16-2006, 09:41 AM
DLee

thats what i'm thinking. maybe when i finish i'll turbo it out... meantime i'll just work on mild n/a...
Old 08-16-2006, 09:59 AM
1turbodc2
got boost?

all your n/a shit will NOT work on a turbo set up just FYI
Old 08-16-2006, 10:06 AM
DLee

i know the cai and headers wont.. .but what about the ecu,chip, gasket, spark plugs, and sleeves?