Notices

Noticing problems in 92 prelude, need help!

Old 06-23-2003, 12:14 AM
The411vm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noticing problems in 92 prelude, need help!

I recently bought a 1992 prelude si 4ws and have noticed a few problems but don't know what is gonna need to be fixed to solve these problems. I'm just wondering what these problems are signs of and what will be needed to fix them. First, when i start the engine, car often smokes white smoke. Not tons of smoke, but like a cloud, then it tends to stop. The transmision sometimes grinds when shifting into 3rd. It has an aftermarket catback exhaust but with stock headers. sometimes when rpm's get above 3 thousand, the exhaust sounds like it rattles or might have a leak in it. Are there any common places to look for problems with the exhaust besides at welds? Do you think if i got headers and took it to a shop to have installed that they would easily be able to fix it? Some times when driving on not so smooth pavment, and i go over a dip in the road or something like that, it feels like the back wheels turned. It almost feels as if i was fish tailing a front wheel drive car. It doesn't do it that often, and when it does do it, it's not a big pull to the side, just real quick and it shakes the car. Doesn't seem to do it enough that it'd be a safety hazard. I'm kinda thinking that it's a problem with the 4 wheel steering. it feels like the back wheels turn when going over the dip or bump. what could be the problem with that or any of the other problems listed. How much money should i be expecting to spend?
Old 06-23-2003, 07:05 AM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

My exaust had a rattle to it.... there was a sheild up around the cat that had rusted and was partly broken. We just took it off completely.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:28 PM
ludeboom

Default Re: Noticing problems in 92 prelude, need help!

Originally posted by The411vm
I recently bought a 1992 prelude si 4ws and have noticed a few problems but don't know what is gonna need to be fixed to solve these problems. I'm just wondering what these problems are signs of and what will be needed to fix them. First, when i start the engine, car often smokes white smoke. Not tons of smoke, but like a cloud, then it tends to stop. The transmision sometimes grinds when shifting into 3rd. It has an aftermarket catback exhaust but with stock headers. sometimes when rpm's get above 3 thousand, the exhaust sounds like it rattles or might have a leak in it. Are there any common places to look for problems with the exhaust besides at welds? Do you think if i got headers and took it to a shop to have installed that they would easily be able to fix it? Some times when driving on not so smooth pavment, and i go over a dip in the road or something like that, it feels like the back wheels turned. It almost feels as if i was fish tailing a front wheel drive car. It doesn't do it that often, and when it does do it, it's not a big pull to the side, just real quick and it shakes the car. Doesn't seem to do it enough that it'd be a safety hazard. I'm kinda thinking that it's a problem with the 4 wheel steering. it feels like the back wheels turn when going over the dip or bump. what could be the problem with that or any of the other problems listed. How much money should i be expecting to spend?
smell the white smoke, if it smells like burning oil, then its probably blowby in the engine
if it smells like exhaust then its steam...
this is an acquired smell so dont worry if you cant distinguish between the two types of smoke

how many miles are on the car?

the tranny grinding sounds like a worn synchro, try adding some differential fluid, otherwise you could be looking at replacing the tranny unless you can deal with the annoyance

the exhaust noise is a frequent problem with a lot of early to mid nineties hondas. especially preludes.

i believe the noise u r describing is caused by the double header pipe, there are two pipes, and then there is one inside the other.
so basically the noise is the outer wall of the header pipe vibrating against the inner wall.

if u want it fixed, go to meineke and tell them to use a grinder to grind a notch on each outer header pipe and then weld the sealed inner pipe to the outer pipe thru the notch this will prevent the rattle. there is a how-to somewhere on the net about this problem and ill try to find it, the guy has pictures to show the mechanic cause otherwise they will think your crazy.

~boomer
Old 06-23-2003, 12:48 PM
The411vm

will the exhaust rattle affect my car in anyway or is it just annoying and doesn't do anything. the car has like.... 120,000miles on it.

i was looking to buy a dc sports 2 peice header, do you think that should fix it?

what are some good tires that ya'll would suggest? to fit stock si prelude rims.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:55 PM
ludeboom

the dc header will fix the problem because it is single walled

what are you looking to do with he tires, if its just for all around dry traction and a little street racing...

nitto nt450 - 205/50 R15
they are cheap, look good, handle good, and reduce tire hop on launches.

~boom