Notices

AHhhh... shopping for the right cat-back exhaust...

Old 05-31-2003, 05:55 PM
4thGenReady2Go
Throbbing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AHhhh... shopping for the right cat-back exhaust...

Hey, consider this the batman search-light of all calls for car help. I want any and all opinions if I can get them. Here it is: I just bought my 94 Si a month ago (before that, an 87 DX... amen to 4th Gens and fuel injection), and now I've managed to accumulate a tad bit of money, enough to replace the ghetto shadetree-mechanic do-it-yourself "modified" OEM exhaust (the muffler was welded directly onto the B-pipe and the weld, well, has sprung a leak if you will). I have looked up and down, hither and thither, and only manage to find good references for all exhausts, mainly because everyone likes what they bought, and offers nothing else as far as discussion goes. While I'm sure I can close my eyes, spin around a few times and choose, I want to pick one which I know I'll be satisfied with. If you are wondering about criteria, here it goes:

#1 (most important) - PERFORMANCE (I'm willing to spend perhaps up to 450...maaaybe 500, and while I know we're not talking forced induction, there certainly are exhausts out there that can grant a car easier breathing [ie, better power gains] than others)

#2 noise - while I understand it's usually constant that if you want better power out of an exhaust, the noisier the exhaust will get as you climb the ladder, but since I am basically poor after buying this car, it will be my only ride (nothing wrong with that, Preludes rule), therefor I need an exhaust that while they make a sweet sound and a "bring-it" note at the traffic light, also will be tolerable on highway trips (3 1/2 hours of Ohio down 75 to see my dad is bad enough because it's boring, a headache just makes things worse)

#3 durability - of course 'sound' comes next, but living in Michigan during the winter only benefits Honda, who annually rake in the profits from B-pipe replacements thanks to all that damn rust-making-salt. Stainless steel is basically the requirement, I need an exhaust that will last, and obviously since I've mentioned before that I'm not rolling in dough, I don't wanna have to buy another exhaust in a few years. I don't know much about metals, I always thought Aluminum can rust, so I crossed HKS' exhaust off my list early. Someone told me they painted over the "aluminized" metal, but when paint chips, it will rust... right?

#4 sound (note, grrrr, vroom vroom) And here we are, from what I hear, this is usually the first most important factor when buying an exhaust. It's only #4 because I forgot, but it is I guess almost as important as the others. I don't want the rattling-can sound, and I guess that's all I need to say.

My price range - $0 (hey, free is good) - $500 (it HAS to be worth it)

There, eat your heart out Tolstoy, I think that was longer than War and Peace. Sorry for all (or any) of you who have held on this long, bear with me for just a bit longer ... pleeease?!

Here are the 4 exhausts I have narrowed my search down to (mostly from a mix of speculation and what people have said)

Tanabe Hyper Medallion
A'PEXi World Sport
DC Stainless Steel
Thermal STEALTH

Please tell me if any of these are a mistake, or applaud me for having included them. What I really want (yes, all this "Want want want" crap, sorry if I sound selfish, I'm only frustrated) is the right and best exhaust for me, so please, rub your eyes after this rediculously mind-numbing passage and type me a response, or e-mail/pm me and let me know what you think.
Old 05-31-2003, 06:57 PM
Armadillo
93 SI 4WS

I am running a A'PEXi World Sport, Love it. I read in a magazine dyno where it gave a 10 hp midrange gain and a 4 hp top end gain to a civic. My butt dyno says it evened out my midrange. I used to get a surge around 3500 rpm now it pulls constant. It is quite running around and is louder at high rpms.

Good luck on your hunt.

Tom
Old 06-01-2003, 08:35 PM
4thGenReady2Go
Throbbing Member

Cool, thanks for the tip, that was exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping to hear. Anyone hear anything positive about DC's cat-back? I'm not quite sure about Thermal Tech's stealth exhaust, I know the classic is pretty good, but for a stealth system, I don't know if it'll be too tame or not. Keep em' coming, I need to make an educated decision for the second time in my life (the first, of course, was buying my Si)
Old 06-01-2003, 08:56 PM
epoxy
Regulator

this topic is covered everyother day. Look around in this forum for megaposts about this topic.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:22 PM
4thGenReady2Go
Throbbing Member

Yeah, you know, I looked around. But like no two Zebras have the same stripe pattern, no two posts on exhausts are the same. I've given a list, I was just hoping to get some feedback to cross some off. All I've found so far is that everyone likes their exhaust, and that's really helpful (not). NEW QUESTION: how come I don't hear or see anyone talking about DC's catback? Is there anything good to say about it? I cross Tanabe's off because some have said it can be loud on the highway. Another questions is how different in noise is A'PEXi's N1 from the WS? I hear all positive remarks about the WS, but I was wondering if I can get a better overall power gain with the N1 without getting too noisy.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:01 AM
THATPRELUDEGUY
I suck!

It's a hard go with what you want. I'd consider a Apex N1 and use the slip in resonator. You'll have a nice looking straight through exhaust that can be run quiet with the resonator in place. The WS is nice but it's not straight through and it's not stainless. The thermal for the 4th Gens is sweet in being both stainless and straight through but no resonator from what I remember so it'll be on the loud side. As for the DC, even though I've seen them and they look nice I just dont know if DC makes quality/functional anything. And the Tanabe is going to be a grip unless you find one used.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:09 AM
epoxy
Regulator

it also depends on the power you want. Apex'i WS for midrange Apex'i N1 for highend.

N1 is ideal for forced induction applications, but for a NA car, it's really up to what you want.

like stated before, n1 is loud compared to the WS. The WS offers a deep hounding sound when cruising but will let everyone know you have an exhaust at higher rpms. i should know, i have one.

As for the N1, i cant really tell you specifics other then what i've read. (n1 is loud )
Old 06-07-2003, 11:04 AM
4thGenReady2Go
Throbbing Member

cool, thanks. I remember reading somewhere that the N1 was more for higher end. While I suppose at this point I can only fantasize about swapping a Type S H22a in my Si, the WS would probably be a better buy. I've crossed Tanabe, as well as now Thermal off my list. Since I've heard nothing but good comments about the WS, I suppose that'll be what I buy, seeing how I've heard little about DC's cat-back. Thanks again.
Old 06-07-2003, 04:15 PM
4thGenReady2Go
Throbbing Member

Preludeguy, I completely missed your post right above epoxy's. I thought the WS came in stainless steel as well, doesn't it? Yeah, I was worried the thermal classic would be too loud, and the thermal stealth would be too restricting. For the Tanabe, you meant it'd cost too much unless I found on used, right? I appreciate the help guys. I've decided to hold off on the exhaust until after I get back from outta town, so in August I'll buy it, but I'd order it RIGHT when I get back, so I still want to decide before I leave. Regarding DC, yeah, perhaps they don't make the better cat-back, besides, it's pricey compared to the others. Their headers are supposed to be the best for the price though, aren't they?
Old 06-07-2003, 04:55 PM
4thGenReady2Go
Throbbing Member

ohh no kidding... I totally missed that, so only the muffler on the world sport is stainless steel? I checked out Apex'i's site, but it didn't say, so I cruised yahoo and found a retailer that described it as 60mm piping with stainless muffler. Shoot... that would've been perfect too. No way would i buy it if it's not all stainless, I can just see that pipe rusting away with time. I guess I'll continue to look then... damn, this is never ending.