Notices

AHhhh... shopping for the right cat-back exhaust...

Old 06-12-2003, 07:55 AM
THATPRELUDEGUY
I suck!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK let me respond to some of the replies.

First off yes the tip sits a little back but remember this is the OEM kit and if it was on the car with the factory skirts it would probably sit perfect. It's at most 1 1/2" back and the Thermal actually sat the same way (do I get black soot, oh yeah but my thermal was as bad or worse).

The Thermal you see is obviously for the 5th Gens and is considered the classic. Here's the catch with the name, they designed the system as teh "Stealth" and used stealth cones but it still didn't meet their criteria for being a stealth system so they called it the "classic". Now for the 4th Gen as far as I know they only have the Classic which is a straight through N1 design similar to the Invidia/Apex N1/Skunk2, etc...

Personally the Thermal had the best sound from outside the car but like I had posted before it got a little much after a while.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:58 PM
4thGenReady2Go
Throbbing Member

A little much in what way? Like highway driving it started to annoy you, or after a while you just thought it was a bit loud and broadcasted your presence too much? Thanks for the info though, I didn't know that about Thermal, nor did I know that the Stealth wasn't offered.
Old 06-14-2003, 01:30 PM
97 VTec Lude

I was leaning towards the Greddy Evo or the Apex WS... Which one is more durable and which one makes the a deeper sound??
Old 09-01-2003, 08:55 AM
SpecialAccord

Lemme throw another wrench in the works here... Don't know if they make this for preludes but I have an accord and I'm about to buy a magnaflow cat-back exhaust. Stainless steel, 2.25 inch stainless pipes, mandrel bent, especially since local muffler shops want 450-550 and I can get it for 350....... Any similar opinions on this?
Old 09-01-2003, 02:50 PM
HotLude93
The One And Only

nocturnal sweet photos. you have an si but not si rims? whats up with that. i got a s and i have si rims. what oart of nj you live in?
Old 09-02-2003, 09:36 AM
4thGenReady2Go
Throbbing Member

those are si rims on his car, only the front ones are backwards. I have a 94 si and have the same alloys.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:11 PM
4thGenReady2Go
Throbbing Member

Damn, it's been so long and now I have a Honda muffler and a rusting b-pipe, which is now leaking at the flange and is creating god know's how much back pressure when I accelerate. I'm back from vacation (the JDM parts search wasn't lucritive, but I have some leads, will post in the proper thread), and have a somewhat steady flow of low-income again. I re-read all the posts, and have one finalist from the list of 4 and one new contender, lemme know what you all think and I'll buy one of these, when though, jeez, please don't ask me:

Apex World Sport (the champ)

RS*R Exmag (the contender)

Give it to me, and be honest and forthcoming. I noticed from the pics that the exmag's muffler looks either painted or aluminized, I'm going to e-mail them and ask about it and the rest of the piping, but from what I've gathered from the posts, this whole stainless-steel through and through bit is nonsense, winter or not, I figure as long as I spray water on the underbody regularly in the winter to dissolve and remove the salt, rusting shouldn't be a problem. I guess I had just worried about it because of the deal with my car, but it was explained to me in a very thorough manner that Honda sells their b-pipes for so cheap because they're not exactly after-market performance grade, and they don't need to be. Thanks dudes, I mostly just like seeing all the replies to a thread that I POSTED, j/k
Old 09-17-2003, 10:15 PM
monkey

hmm i saw the cheapest group buy ever for the RS-R today @ PO.com.

$415.

the muffler and piping are painted 409 stainless steel, and look to be pretty durable. but if that's not a big a deal, then nevermind it. also, i like the low key muffler as opposed to the very shiny WS muffler, which is a little too outspoken for me.

once i save enough money to warrant buying an exhaust, it'll be an exmag.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:28 PM
4thGenReady2Go
Throbbing Member

did you type that right? I tried "PO.com" but it came up as DNS, I tried "www.PO.com" but that was like Physicians online or something, I figured that wasn't it either. $415 isn't bad, if RS*R is half as good as what I have heard, then that's a pretty good deal actually. ... oh wait, I checked RS*R's site again, they only listed the 92-96 VTEC under applications for the exmag, but that soundn't make a difference should it? PLacement of the cat and everything back is the same, or am I wrong?
Old 09-18-2003, 09:31 AM
monkey

if you've got an SI the only difference is something to do with the b-pipe to header flange, and is easily corrected.

"PO.com" is preludeonline.com, which is a fine message board, maybe the best, but joining is another issue b/c you've got to pay $7 to have real access to the site.

still looking at the classifieds alone i think warrants the cost. I mean it's still ridiculous to PAY for access to a msg board, but i think it's worth it in this case. there are so many more parts for sale for just ludes so you don't have to sort through all the crap that the civic or dc2 guys sell

i've also found an RS-R on ebay for $420 Buy It Now, so if you don't want to sign up for PO.com u can look for it. i've found it on multiple occasions so i think it's a retailer who's selling cheap exmag's though i think the ad itself is a little shady.