Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Nissan JDM Car Lineup

Old 12-31-2002, 09:42 PM
LuckyDog
AccordPower24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought our Sentra looked bland...
Old 12-31-2002, 11:17 PM
zishan

I would really like to see the primera as the next sentra...but doubt it...I think it costs too much to be an entry level and if it can't be that, than there really is no room for it. Infiniti will not carry anything that's fwd. So it could never really be in a class like the upcoming tsx. Other than that, I like the x-trail. However, we will not likely see this either because its just barely smaller than the x-terra, so they would likely be competing with each other.

p.s. with interiors like the ones in the Avenir, Q45, Elgrand, and the Serena. Nissan shows they can make very nice looking interiors. So why do the US bound interiors look like crap. Serena and El Grand are especially nice considering that fact that they are vans. Id love to see the next Quest with either of those interiors.
Old 01-01-2003, 07:35 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by velfarretokyo
I've heard that in Japan automatics are by far the norm, even more so than in the US. Its a shame I suppose, considering how many nice cars they have over there. But I guess in a way it makes sense. If you've ever driven in a place like Japan you'll know why.

BTW, good post topic.
Thanks for the compliment...and yeah, I guess automatics are the norm..they even have them on a couple of their SR20DETT models!

zish, I would love to see the primera come here. That's one of the few JDM Nissan cars I actually see having potential here. It's not that expensive...it's sort of an entry level model over there, slightly above the Sentra. The X-Trail reminds me of the Honda HR-V...another car that should be brought here.

I only posted interiors that looked nice...the cars that don't have their interiors posted either have bland ones or USDM clone ones. But none have that Infiniti analog clock, that's our thing. But yeah, a few there have BEAUTIFUL interiors.

Chris
Old 01-04-2003, 01:30 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

The Primera has been sold here before. It's called the Infiniti G20.
Old 01-04-2003, 01:34 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally posted by MrFatBooty
The Primera has been sold here before. It's called the Infiniti G20.
Well, they should bring it back then. Only make it really luxurious, change the steering wheel, give it some nicer powertrains, and don't try to market it as sporty like the G20.
Old 01-04-2003, 01:44 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Nobody liked the G20. The G35 starts at like $27k, they'd have to start a gussied up Primera around $23k and nobody would buy it when a perfectly good Altima can be had for that price. Now it could be perhaps stuck into the Nissan lineup between the Sentra and Altima, but they're already introducing a whole ton of new models. That, and Nissan knows that past Primera models have had a bad track record in this country poor marketing or not.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:40 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Nobody liked the G20. The G35 starts at like $27k, they'd have to start a gussied up Primera around $23k and nobody would buy it when a perfectly good Altima can be had for that price. Now it could be perhaps stuck into the Nissan lineup between the Sentra and Altima, but they're already introducing a whole ton of new models. That, and Nissan knows that past Primera models have had a bad track record in this country poor marketing or not.
Yeah, the Altima is really luxurious. What kind of an person would possibly buy a gussied up Primera over the plasticy Altima?
Old 01-04-2003, 03:25 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Not many people in this country. Back when the G20 was sold here you could get a Maxima with cloth seats and a V6 or a "luxurious" G20 that was slow and not really that luxurious.
Old 01-04-2003, 04:43 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Not many people in this country. Back when the G20 was sold here you could get a Maxima with cloth seats and a V6 or a "luxurious" G20 that was slow and not really that luxurious.
So what's wrong with, say, a 'J30' that's a Primera, has their VQ30 worth 220HP, and had lots of luxury for a price below the G35/I35? Putting an anemic 2.0 in any "luxury" car is asine. When did I say this would be the exact same thing as the G20 used to be?
Old 01-04-2003, 05:05 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

The Primera is still FWD, which doesn't fit in with the rest of the lineup (I35 is getting killed off after a shortened 2003 model year). Infiniti is gunning for BMW, not Acura.

A loaded up V6 Altima stickers at $29k. If anything a 3.0-liter Primera would slot in the Nissan lineup as a smaller/sportier alternative to the Altima with a price topping out at say, $26k. You still have the issue of cannibalizing Altima sales which is exactly why the 2004 Maxima is bigger and more expensive than the last one which was too similar to the Altima.

I still don't see it happening. I just hope that they get around to updating the Sentra soon because it's totally out of step with essentially every Nissan product now.