Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

DOT tightening SUV fuel rules

Old 12-26-2002, 09:03 AM
yianni64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ILuvItTheJDM
I find all these upcoming regulations to be bull****. The government needs to stop worrying about SUVs and they need to stop handicapping performance cars like the WRX by slapping all sorts of restrictions on them.

All of these new changes will not even reduce overall air polution by 1% (sorry, I don't have a source for this but I heard it on a major news network). To me, it's not worth it...They're looking in the wrong place.

The ever-growing number of commerical vehicles in this country has been the problem for years. Aging buses and big rigs that spew black filth into the air have managed to evade the radar for decades...

:madfawk:
Actually, no. You almost had a point there.

Do you realive how many SUV's are sold every year? Millions. Let's say they were forced to have 5% better fuel economy and emmisions, that wouldnt change anything? Seriously, with a little bit of money put into R&D a 5% increase in economy is easy.

As for performace cars, boo hoo. You might think a lot of cars dont make it here becuase they dont meet emmissions, but there are other reasons. I really cant think of many cars that are not being imported to the USA becuase of emmissions reasons.

My step dad works for a company that makes Class A-B-C trucks, and I heard plenty from him about how the new emmissions are making it hard for them to sell a truck now. One of the big engine makers, Cat I think, has yet to meet the emmissions and is paying $2,000 to the government for every engine they sell.

Anyways, vehicles that carry around freight are going to pollute more. They weight many times more than your car. But the goverment has made it to were they will pollute less than current cars within the next decade or so.

So, my bottom line is, stop *****ing like a Ford executive and deal with it. You might loose 3hp in the process, but your kids will live an easier life.
Old 12-26-2002, 01:45 PM
ILuvItTheJDM
VEETEHK

Originally posted by yianni64
Actually, no. You almost had a point there.

Do you realive how many SUV's are sold every year? Millions. Let's say they were forced to have 5% better fuel economy and emmisions, that wouldnt change anything? Seriously, with a little bit of money put into R&D a 5% increase in economy is easy.

As for performace cars, boo hoo. You might think a lot of cars dont make it here becuase they dont meet emmissions, but there are other reasons. I really cant think of many cars that are not being imported to the USA becuase of emmissions reasons.

My step dad works for a company that makes Class A-B-C trucks, and I heard plenty from him about how the new emmissions are making it hard for them to sell a truck now. One of the big engine makers, Cat I think, has yet to meet the emmissions and is paying $2,000 to the government for every engine they sell.

Anyways, vehicles that carry around freight are going to pollute more. They weight many times more than your car. But the goverment has made it to were they will pollute less than current cars within the next decade or so.

So, my bottom line is, stop *****ing like a Ford executive and deal with it. You might loose 3hp in the process, but your kids will live an easier life.
Whatever. Any NASCAR race car or city garbage truck spews more filth and harmful emissions in one day than my neighbor's Suburban does in 10 years.
Old 12-26-2002, 08:41 PM
yianni64

Originally posted by ILuvItTheJDM
Whatever. Any NASCAR race car or city garbage truck spews more filth and harmful emissions in one day than my neighbor's Suburban does in 10 years.
So we are going to make racing illegeal? As much as I dont like NASCAR, a few cars going around a oval once a week isnt too bad. As for the garbage truck, i doubt that it poluttes 3650 more than a suburban? you might have had a valid point if you didnt stretch the truth so much.