Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix

Old 09-28-2002, 05:43 AM
yianni64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 02RSXTYPES

the J32A2 is SOHC but is quite nice last time I checked. Single or Double OHC, GM can't built smooth and refined engines. Period. Except the Vette's 5.7L.
Your so picky. So, I would like to point out the GEN III V8 in the Corvette is niether SOHC or DOHC, it's a pushrod. Man, you gonnna hate me for saying that :fawk:
Old 09-28-2002, 07:36 AM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Originally posted by 02RSXTYPES

the J32A2 is SOHC but is quite nice last time I checked. Single or Double OHC, GM can't built smooth and refined engines. Period. Except the Vette's 5.7L.
You know what I mean...... any OHC for that matter. GM only has those new straight sixes in the Chevy and GMC sport utes, and the verdict is still out on those as far as reliability. But I think we will all agree that GM's gonna stick with the pushrod for eternity. Their last OHC performance attempt: QUAD 4. Need I say more?
Old 09-28-2002, 08:01 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by yianni64
So, I would like to point out the GEN III V8 in the Corvette is niether SOHC or DOHC, it's a pushrod. Man, you gonnna hate me for saying that :fawk:
Thank you. I said "GM can't build smooth and refined engines". The 5.7 in the Vette is the only thing that comes close to that. It's quite nice for a GM engine. (And for the record, I did know the 5.7 was OHV). You call me fricken picky :fawk:

fb, the straight sixes are quite nice but I didn't name them because they've had some reliability issues...hopefully they'll be resolved. But for an American 6 cylinder, it is VERY smooth.
Old 09-28-2002, 08:10 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally posted by fastball
You know what I mean...... any OHC for that matter. GM only has those new straight sixes in the Chevy and GMC sport utes, and the verdict is still out on those as far as reliability. But I think we will all agree that GM's gonna stick with the pushrod for eternity. Their last OHC performance attempt: QUAD 4. Need I say more?
you forgot about the all aluminum ecotec dohc 2.2 liter engine making 140 hp and 150 lb ft tq (chevy already has an in house drag racing department that has the ecotec making 800hp...but with a pretty sizeable budget)

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...07/035471.html

it is still by no means as refined as some of the best 4 cylinders on the market but much much better than the older 4 cylinders gm used to make
Old 09-28-2002, 11:07 AM
fastball
A little chin music

Originally posted by jaje
you forgot about the all aluminum ecotec sohc 2.2 liter engine making 140 hp and 150 lb ft tq (chevy already has an in house drag racing department that has the ecotec making 800hp...but with a pretty sizeable budget)

it is still by no means as refined as some of the best 4 cylinders on the market but much much better than the older 4 cylinders gm used to make
I will admit it's a formidable engine....... for GM. I drove a 2002 Cavalier Z24 five speed for kicks and giggles a few months ago..... thought it was liveable for a brand new car....... got back in to my Prelude with (at that time) 50,000 miles, and all of a sudden, my Prelude felt like brand spanking new. Those Ecotecs are not by any means a performance engine. I redlined it on the test drive and the guy was like "whoa, man. What are you doing?" I said "hey, you can redline my Prelude with no problems. I just thought these Ecotecs were supposed to be GM's comical answer to VTEC." He had no reply, and he wanted me to go once we were done with the drive. Heh, heh, heh.
Old 09-28-2002, 03:09 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Drive a 4-cylinder Saab and then shut the fuck up. That's all I really have to say.
Old 09-28-2002, 03:17 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Originally posted by MrFatBooty
Drive a 4-cylinder Saab and then shut the fuck up. That's all I really have to say.
Sorry. Don't count. Saab is a subsidiary of GM, but the cars are still designed and produced by Sweedes. Not in Detroit. Saabs are fantastic if you like a little awkward and quirky vehicle. Not for me, but I give them a ton more respect than any nameplate in the States with a Blue Square on it.

I will give GM one thing: they haven't tried to mess with Saabs.... YET!
Old 09-28-2002, 04:13 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

OK dude whatever, Saab still uses the Ecotec motor.
Old 09-28-2002, 05:36 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally posted by MrFatBooty
OK dude whatever, Saab still uses the Ecotec motor.
what saabs come with the ecotec?

the 9-3 series use only 2.0 turbos...the 9-5 series use a 2.3 turbo and 3.0 turbo
Old 09-28-2002, 05:37 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally posted by fastball
Sorry. Don't count. Saab is a subsidiary of GM, but the cars are still designed and produced by Sweedes. Not in Detroit. Saabs are fantastic if you like a little awkward and quirky vehicle. Not for me, but I give them a ton more respect than any nameplate in the States with a Blue Square on it.

I will give GM one thing: they haven't tried to mess with Saabs.... YET!
gm and saab both worked on the epsilon chassis which will be shared by both companies...gm did the primary engineering