Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Car and Driver's $35k sedan Shootout

Old 09-04-2002, 12:34 PM
kazi
Toyota Racing = Cheaters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not trying to put down the G35. I like it a lot, but you have to admit that its not the perfect sport sedan and it does have its weaknesses. Same can be said for the Audi, TL, and BMW. Well, maybe less with the BMW.

I've never driven the G35 first hand, but there's a semi-consistant comments on the G35's steering and body roll in other reviews. Even your R&T source mentions "rather high steering boost at low speed", maybe to compesate for the oversteer? :dunno: I'm just a magazine driver when it comes to the G35, so I dunno. It's still a good car.

I edited my last post to include the link. Click on the C&D for the source.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:50 PM
asianautica

kazi, it's really nice having is conversation with you. Much more civil than some people on here. I admit the G35 is not perfect and it still have several weakness. I'm not denying that. BMW performance is top notch but their weakness is their electronic. I guess Japanese is still at the top of their game in term of electronics.

Thanks for the link.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:01 PM
RavenLude

I'm also surprised the W8 is on this list, let alone exist in the first place. It competes with entry level luxury cars with V6 engines, half of which are thousands less, and all the V6's outperform the W8.
When will the outrageously priced BMW ever take a back seat in a Car/Driver or Motor Trend magazine. Maybe it is because they do not test value, reliability, or durability.
My choice would be:
1. TL-S
2. G25
3. tie between beamer/C320
5. A4
6. W8 . . . would a waste of paper testing this pig. Should have selected Lexus ES300.

P.S. C&D only received a 16.0 in 1/4 mile for the TL-S, probably just so they could show the auto beamer win in the race; usually the beamer in a stick vs. the TL-S in auto and both in mid-high 14's. I think beamer pays more than Honda for advertising.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:11 PM
yianni64

Ah, too much to reply too.

The G35 brakes use a very aggresive brake pad substance. That should answer some questions.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:55 PM
jwaters

Originally posted by RavenLude
I'm also surprised the W8 is on this list, let alone exist in the first place. It competes with entry level luxury cars with V6 engines, half of which are thousands less, and all the V6's outperform the W8.
When will the outrageously priced BMW ever take a back seat in a Car/Driver or Motor Trend magazine. Maybe it is because they do not test value, reliability, or durability.
My choice would be:
1. TL-S
2. G25
3. tie between beamer/C320
5. A4
6. W8 . . . would a waste of paper testing this pig. Should have selected Lexus ES300.

P.S. C&D only received a 16.0 in 1/4 mile for the TL-S, probably just so they could show the auto beamer win in the race; usually the beamer in a stick vs. the TL-S in auto and both in mid-high 14's. I think beamer pays more than Honda for advertising.
The TL-S is a good car, but clearly not the best in the category. I've read several of your posts and is it just me or do you have some personal bias against any car that isn't an Acura/Honda? Specifically the TL.
Old 09-04-2002, 02:03 PM
RavenLude

Obviously you have not been reading much of these posts considering I am a huge fan of Nissan/Infiniti's as well.

And by the way I think most people that attend this site are honda/acura bias, probably because it is a Honda-Acura site.
So if your not, why are you a member of the site?

IMO the TL-S is the best choice because for $32k I'm getting a car with several standard options that run the price up thousands of dollars more on most the other models. And I now my $32k spent was a wise decision knowing that I will probably get 150,000 plus miles out of the car.
Old 09-04-2002, 02:52 PM
jwaters

Originally posted by RavenLude
Obviously you have not been reading much of these posts considering I am a huge fan of Nissan/Infiniti's as well.

And by the way I think most people that attend this site are honda/acura bias, probably because it is a Honda-Acura site.
So if your not, why are you a member of the site?

IMO the TL-S is the best choice because for $32k I'm getting a car with several standard options that run the price up thousands of dollars more on most the other models. And I now my $32k spent was a wise decision knowing that I will probably get 150,000 plus miles out of the car.
I consider myself an automobile enthusiast. That includes, but is not limited to, Hondas and Acuras. And for the record, I thought I made a valid observation....no need to get touchy. I must have struck a nerve, but then again the truth always hurts.

Value-wise the TL is a great car. I can't deny that, but it does not have the same solid feel and performance of either the BMW or Audi. As for the W8, the car they tested did not have a sport package (which is on its way to the U.S.) and the test results were very odd. In a previous issue C & D tested a W8 and got 6.9 0-60 and the 1/4 mile in the 15 second range. They also commented on the excellent interior, fit & finish, etc. But in this test they seem to contradict themselves.

In any case, I wouldn't mind having any of the cars listed above.
Old 09-04-2002, 02:54 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by asianautica
kazi, it's really nice having is conversation with you. Much more civil than some people on here.
I wasn't being uncivil, I was just kind of annoyed because you're trying to question statistics and numbers to get into a pissing contest, which makes no sense. Obviously the 2 magazines had differing opinions..
Old 09-04-2002, 02:55 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jw, all of the cars were abnormally slow. The TL-S (nor the TL) does NOT pull a 16.0@88MPH in the 1/4, it musta been at a high elevation or up a freaking mountain.
Old 09-04-2002, 03:24 PM
yianni64

Originally posted by 02RSXTYPES
jw, all of the cars were abnormally slow. The TL-S (nor the TL) does NOT pull a 16.0@88MPH in the 1/4, it musta been at a high elevation or up a freaking mountain.
I noticed that to. Does C&D usually get faster or slower results than the other guys?

Quick Reply: Car and Driver's $35k sedan Shootout