Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Car and Driver's $35k sedan Shootout

Old 09-04-2002, 11:47 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

asian, did it occur to you that braking isn't all about distances? I'd rather have the best pedal feel than the best braking distances.

The G35 oversteers like mad.

READ THE STORY.
Old 09-04-2002, 11:55 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by kazi

I think if you priced them out at $35k, you get more amenities with the TL and G35 than the others.

One thing I noticed, I'm not sure if this is true, but the 330i only comes with a standard single CD player. Add the Navi and it deletes the CD player and adds a cassette player instead. I'm confused on this one.
Yes, 2002 BMW 3s and 5s come standard with a single CD player which is replaced with a tape deck behind the navi screen...for 2003 they replace the tape with CD in the same location and switch from CD-rom to DVD-rom navi.
Old 09-04-2002, 11:58 AM
asianautica

No it never occur to me. I always feel that when you're testing the brakes, it's all about the distances. I also test drove the G35 and the pedal feels fine to me. much better than the Benz. Maybe also because I'm an aggressive driver so I like brakes that's also aggressive to slow me down as quick as possible.

I must admit, I didn't read the story because I don't have the magazine. But I've never heard anyone complain about the G35 oversteering like mad before.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:05 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Originally posted by DVPGSR
Scores (Acura, Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Benz, VW)
Amenities: 9, 6, 7, 8, 6, 6

Someone please tell me what Acura comes with the BMW doesn't?. Not trying to nitpick here but how did BMW get a 7 for amenities?

I guess they couldn't make BMW look perfect.
BMW's have always been either under featured or over priced. When you compare an apples to apples in sticker price, BMW is under featured. If you compare apples to apples in features, BMW is over priced. That's why a 325Ci starts at 29,000, but you get manual seats, no moon roof, no real leather, just your basic power equipment. To get it equiped like an Acura CL-S, the BMW goes up to 36,000, while the CL-S is 31,500.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:11 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally posted by asianautica
No it never occur to me. I always feel that when you're testing the brakes, it's all about the distances. I also test drove the G35 and the pedal feels fine to me. much better than the Benz. Maybe also because I'm an aggressive driver so I like brakes that's also aggressive to slow me down as quick as possible.

I must admit, I didn't read the story because I don't have the magazine. But I've never heard anyone complain about the G35 oversteering like mad before.
Well now you have heard it. I've driven the G35 and the brakes feel, as C&D said, too grabby.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:18 PM
asianautica

I have driven the G35 and it doesn't seem too grabby to me. Any less would be not enough.

Here's what R&T has to say about G35's handling:
"On back roads, the G35 is not quite as nimble as the BMW or Lexus — it's a bigger car than either; 10.5 in. longer than the 330i — but it has precise steering and very good turn-in, with rather high steering boost at low speed. In corners, there's a bit more body roll than in either of the above-mentioned, but the car maintains tenacious grip and balance, and you can fling it about mercilessly without fear. It's not as connected and supple over small bumps as the BMW, but handles fast transitions and dips in the road with aplomb, and has a more civilized highway ride than the BMW. In all, its suspension is "nicely snubbed down," as one driver put it. A first-rate chassis that will give most drivers what they want out of a sports sedan, day in and day out."

There's not a single mention about oversteer, just near perfect handling.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:21 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Whatever. I don't give a damn, I really don't. I'm just saying what C&D said, write a letter. Road and Track didn't test these cars back to back, I'm sure it's oversteering compared to its class, not a Corvette.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:25 PM
kazi
Toyota Racing = Cheaters

Originally posted by asianautica
And here's what C&D said in their G35 review:

The steering, too, is communicative without getting overly chatty. Its action is light and crisp with a smooth, low-friction feel that weights up nicely as you ask the front P215/55WR-17 Goodyears for increasing stick. Despite the relatively modest width of the tires, the G35 circles the skidpad at 0.84 g, which would have tied for best in that seven-sedan comparison. Our only complaint with the steering is its oversensitivity immediately off-center. It makes the car harder to drive smoothly and makes the body do a slight lateral wobble at turn-in that is unbecoming of a sports sedan.

The brakes are also guilty of this sporting faux pas. The pads take an overly tenacious initial bite. Maybe some wear would correct this, maybe not. Dip more deeply into the left pedal, and the driver is rewarded with nice linear progression from "Perhaps I should consider braking" all the way to "Oh, goodness!" The G35 stops in an impressive 162 feet from 70 mph.

Our sport-package car acquitted itself nicely on our test roads east of San Diego. That's especially true when the roads dip and sway instead of twisting tightly back on themselves. With room to stretch its legs, and space to ease in and out of corners, the G35 is a delight. There's little body roll, and the aluminum multilink suspension handles undulations with grace and steady resolve. When the going gets tighter, as on some of the narrow wooded passes on our route, the G35 lets you know it's no go-kart. Pushed hard into tight bends, the G35 feels almost as large as it is. Despite an advantageous 53/47 weight distribution (thanks to its rearward-mounted front engine and rear drive), the G35 will push wide of your intended line. Maybe 225s would work better. If it lacks the last bit of razor-edge precision of the 3-series out on racy roads, the G35 nonetheless is a satisfying driver with familiar and welcome rear-drive dynamics. That's backed with a standard electronic stability system.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:26 PM
asianautica

If you don't give a damn, then why are you replying? What's the point in writing a letter to C&D, there's nothing in it for me? I have nothing to prove. How did you know R&T didn't test them back to back? How can you be sure it oversteer compared to its class?
Old 09-04-2002, 12:30 PM
asianautica

kazi, thanks for that quote. Did you type that up or did you get it off the net? If it's from the net, can you give me the link? In that quote, it says nothing about oversteering. R&T said precise steering and good turn-in while C&D said steering is oversensitive and slight lateral wobble at turn-in. Dunno who to believe. And since I can't just take the G35 to the autoX course, I'll never know.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver's $35k sedan Shootout