Notices

Vibration

Old 01-06-2004, 11:23 AM
dougs527

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration

I have a 95 Legend, coupe, 6 speed. I have a noticable engine vibration. The vibration occurs under all situations between 1,700 to 1,900 rpm. It occurs in neutral just while sitting still, and in all gears while driving. I jacked the car up this morning. I adjusted the rpm to 1,800 rpm, and crawled under the vehicle. I noticed no vibration at the front of the engine, almost no vibration at the rear engine motor mounts, but considerable vibration at the rear of the manual transmission. The vibration that I am noticing in the transmission is definitely the vibration I am noticing in the shifter and steering wheel. I don’t understand why the steering wheel is vibrating. I did not detect any vibration in the steering shaft near the power-steering gearbox.

The vibration only occurs between 1,700 to 1,900 rpm. It’s like a vibration harmonic at this rpm, maybe in the transmission, or in the engine, which is being carried through the transmission. Is the rear transmission mount supposed to take care of this vibration, or do I have to fix the vibration at the source? Visually, I cannot see anything wrong with the rear transmission mount. It could have lost it’s grip and is not damping the vibration. Is the vibration harmonic I am experiencing common in all Legends? If it’s not, where do I start?
Old 02-12-2004, 06:08 AM
mossman
Mark

Originally Posted by dougs527
I have a 95 Legend, coupe, 6 speed. I have a noticable engine vibration. The vibration occurs under all situations between 1,700 to 1,900 rpm. It occurs in neutral just while sitting still, and in all gears while driving. I jacked the car up this morning. I adjusted the rpm to 1,800 rpm, and crawled under the vehicle. I noticed no vibration at the front of the engine, almost no vibration at the rear engine motor mounts, but considerable vibration at the rear of the manual transmission. The vibration that I am noticing in the transmission is definitely the vibration I am noticing in the shifter and steering wheel. I don’t understand why the steering wheel is vibrating. I did not detect any vibration in the steering shaft near the power-steering gearbox.

The vibration only occurs between 1,700 to 1,900 rpm. It’s like a vibration harmonic at this rpm, maybe in the transmission, or in the engine, which is being carried through the transmission. Is the rear transmission mount supposed to take care of this vibration, or do I have to fix the vibration at the source? Visually, I cannot see anything wrong with the rear transmission mount. It could have lost it’s grip and is not damping the vibration. Is the vibration harmonic I am experiencing common in all Legends? If it’s not, where do I start?
Sounds like the rear trans mount. They are know to go bad. I replaced mine last year (1995 L).
Old 02-17-2004, 03:29 AM
Dave C

All Legends have a critical engine speed around 1500 RPM.