Notices

Help with diagnosing fuel pump problem

Old 07-10-2003, 11:02 AM
88mphDotOrg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with diagnosing fuel pump problem

So...if you look at this thread you can see that me and my buddy have been having a bit of a problem getting his car working. We have narrowed it down to a fueling problem because it has plenty of spark and air is not an issue either. The car is a 92 'teggie with a b16 head/b18 block frankenmotor.

The fuel pump turns on one out of every several attempts when we turn the car into the on position. The rest of the time it sits there doing nothing. When we try to start it after we hear the fuel pump come on, we get some burbling out of the exhaust like it is trying to fire but is missing a couple of cylinders (sounded a lot like when my fuel pressure regulator went on my porsche, but the fuel pump was fine on that). When we don't hear the fuel pump, we hear nothing but the car turning over and pushing air out of the exhaust.

My question is what is the best way to find out if it is a fried fuel pump or a wiring/electrical issue? Where is the fuel pump relay located in this car? Any other suggestions on trying to narrow down this problem? Thanks guys...
Old 07-10-2003, 11:28 AM
88mphDotOrg

I'm bored at work, so I'm going to post a couple of pictures of this car. Its a real turd...a turd with a heart of gold. It lived in baltimore city for the last 9 months and was hit-and-runned 2 times that we knew of (the last time it had the front fascia ripped right off), had the core support decimated on a nasty dip in the road (it pushed the left front wheel back about 2" from the right wheel, and it put a quarter-sized hole in the oil pan which is being held strong by JB weld). It has been wrecked at least 3 times that I know of, and ran over a bobcat. For some reason my friend decided that when he blew up the original motor, he would get a $4500 motor swap into this carcass of a car. Strange guy I tell you. He's had the motor in it for about 9 months now and it hasn't given him any problems.

Anyways, he blew one of his half-shafts out drag racing up at a middle school a couple of weeks ago, and I was lucky enough to have my digital camera with me to mark this monumental occasion of replacing an axle in a less-than-optimal work enviroment (the parking lot of a middle school). So...here they are:

Mike hard at work...

Notice all of the beer cans (I think there were 20 or so by the time we actually got the thing back together)...fixing cars is a lot more fun with beer:

Mike got the old axle out:

Notice the DOHC VTEC biatch badging on the car:

Here you can see the lack of the front fascia and Mike exhuberent about having a car that runs again:

I don't know why Mike was in his underwear in that picture...I'm sure only he knows.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:38 AM
Josher

If the fuel pump only turns every few attempts to start the car, I would think that your problem would have to be the pump. You could always hook up a fuel pressure gauge up to see what pressure you're actually at. Or just disconnect the fuel line from the fuel filter and see if you're actually getting any fuel. I'd say just replace the fuel pump and see what happens. Seeing as your friend dropped $4500 on that rat, why not another $150 or so on a fuel pump? I love working on friends cars where they beat on em constantly. Psychotic friends with busted civics and tegs rule! Best of luck.