Notices

turbo integra advice..PLEASE HELP

Old 05-26-2003, 08:27 PM
SwifT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo integra advice..PLEASE HELP

Ok so here is the deal....Around the end of June i am going to be gettin an Integra GSR with probably around 100,000 miles on it. Now my plan was to get the gsr and save for turbo right after. But i had some doubts and questions....
First of all i heard that hondas/acuras cant handle much boost and its not always good to turbo one..so thoughts about that and what i would need to do maybe?
Next would it even be safe to turbo one with 100,000 miles on it? Some of my friends who have turbo cars and stuff said as long as you do a compression test first and everything is ok then it would be safe? So thoughts about this...?
If all this is ok then my next question would be what kind of turbo kit to go with? I found a good deal for a Drag gen 3 turbo kit and it has free shipping, free boost gauge, free turbo timer, and a bunch of other free shit as well. But dont know anyone with a drag kit so dont know if they are all that great?

Also feel free to give me opinions/options/idea/warnings/ or anything else about this... Thanks alot to the ones that do help me out here......PLEASE HELP...lol
One last thing....anyone with a turbo gsr out there would u tell me how much hp / torque you got right after turbo
Old 05-27-2003, 11:33 AM
hollaback6

i can answer some of your questions. Hondas are fine to boost. The GSR can usually handle 7 to 8 psi on the drag kit. Your friends are right. Do a compression test if it comes out good then it is fine to turbo your car. As far as the drag kit being good i am not sure. I am personally into doing custom kits. It is cheaper and you get parts that you want and that are better.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:23 PM
AP2
Moderator Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be fine.
Do a compression test.
DRAG kits are okay if you don't plan on boosting past 10 psi. For what you get with these kits, it comes out to a real good value compared to custom kits.

Btw, I have a turbo GS-R.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:27 PM
LT
The deer had to die!

compression tests are not what you should base soley on. They'll tell you your piston rings are fine, but what about leakdown? Will you be prone to burning more oil?

You should first see how the car is running, period. Any problems with internals, a turbo will exponentially decrease the life of that faulty moving part.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:31 PM
AP2
Moderator Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I was going to recommend a leakdown test, but in some areas they're pretty hard to find.
Old 05-28-2003, 04:18 PM
hollaback6

For what you get with these kits, it comes out to a real good value compared to custom kits.

umm...i would rather build a custom kit then a drag kit. custom kits are better because you get to choose the parts you want and what fits your needs. A kit usually comes with crap for tuning. That is why it is so much better to build a custom kit and plus you learn a lot.h:
Old 05-28-2003, 04:36 PM
Skelly_GSR
RB does men

I think you should worry about getting the car first. As my dad always said " you have the cart before the horse"
Old 05-28-2003, 05:13 PM
disguy409

the drag kit is good... just make sure you ditch the deltagate and get a tial. also ditch the fmu and get better fuel management like hondata or at least a vafc and dsm injectors