Notices

HELP car popping out of gear while driving

Old 05-26-2003, 07:55 AM
born2speed

Location: Home: Farmington, CT; School: Lehigh Univ. Bethlehem, PA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP car popping out of gear while driving

When in 2nd and 5th gear and not on the gas, my car pops right out of gear. I think it is the synchros but am not an expert, does anyone have any suggestions.

I also have trouble starting my car. All it does is click once when you turn and hold the key. If I pump the clutch pedal a bunch of times the car will eventually start.

Any advice for either problem would be great.

Thanks

-Jon
Old 05-26-2003, 10:00 AM
XSrcing

the jumping out of gear problem could be due to misadjusted linkage, worn syncros, or damaged gears. but since you didnt say anyhting about a noise when in gear, i doubt it is damaged gears. so check and make sure that the bushing in your shift linkage aren't in bad shape; if they are have them replaced. if it is your suncros, you will most likely end up replacing the tranny.

and about starting the car, the problem is the starter solenoid. happened to my last gs-r. i learned that if i just held the key to the start position it would eventually crank over after about 10-15 seconds. you should be able to get a replacement solenoid at just about any auto place.
Old 05-26-2003, 05:06 PM
Level_7

There are a few reasons why it may be 'popping' out of gear. The linkages are worn or need adjustment, the input gear bearing retainer could be loose, your shift fork could be worn, or (ugly) tranaxle is only loosely fitted to the engine.