Notices

To AEM or not to AEM??

Old 06-29-2002, 11:12 AM
Phoenix20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To AEM or not to AEM??

New guy around here. Have a question for the guys that have an AEM CAI on the ITR's. Do you think that it was worth it? So far I have JDM DC 4-1 and carsound cat. I am curious about what other R owners think about it before I buy one. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-30-2002, 09:59 PM
TyPeRbOy634

This question comes up alot...i got like 8 horses from mine and thats whp...on the dyno..it does tend to get alil loud when hitting v-tec..which all depends whether or not you like that...nice low tone low throttle though...also i hear the icebox from comptech is just as good..although i love my AEM...=) get it man..believe it or not..for the money a cai form one of these companies is one of the best thing syou can buy...i see a consistent 5-18 horsepower gains with this thing....they have one on ebay right now..for like 150$ brand new...i also knw a guy who sellin a brand new blue one with the bypass valv for liek 215$ lemme know...ill direct ya to him..good luck man
Old 07-01-2002, 06:08 AM
BonzoAPD

I have heard that the AEM CAI isn't that great a mod for ITR's. It isn't much of a hp gain if not even a loss. That is what I have read on the subject.
Old 07-01-2002, 06:52 AM
TyPeRbOy634

A wise man once said all cars are different..dont knwo who it was but its true man..cars are liek people...they take to things differently..i have seen a minimal gain on some R's because the intake system in the R is kinda like a cold air...but just liek ive seen like a 2 horepower gain in a stock gsr...i mean it all deoends man..were talkin majority here..this is all you can assume...To be honest with you i dont know how much horsepower min gave me..i never dynoed it stock..but i went to the dyno with just the AEM cai...and my ITR dynoed at 176.8 whp...now either my ITR was "the one" or the aem gave it like 6-8 horses...which is what i assumed...the intakes rather easy to install/uninstall...i should get it dynoed without the inake now...well see....latz
Old 07-01-2002, 08:27 AM
Phoenix20

Thanks for the responses, I went ahead and purchased one and it should be here by Friday, I'll let you know what I think. I don't mind it being loud when VTEC kicks, I don't drive it all the time.
Old 07-01-2002, 07:17 PM
George Knighton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although the AEM produces phenomenal gains on the GS-R, the Comptech Icebox is better on the ITR.
Old 07-01-2002, 08:47 PM
TyPeRbOy634

Dude..all dynoes show that the AEM gives the best power...with the icebox right behind it though....like a diff of nothing signifigant..both are good..=)
Old 07-03-2002, 03:06 PM
George Knighton

Originally posted by TyPeRbOy634
Dude..all dynoes show that the AEM gives the best power...with the icebox right behind it though....like a diff of nothing signifigant..both are good..=)
Dude? Are you talkin' ta me? LOL...

"All dynoes" (sic) certainly do not show any such thing.

The Comptech Icebox is a better choice for the ITR, despite the AEM's legendary improvement to the GS-R.

Yes, this is personal experience. And yes, I have a dyno.
Old 07-03-2002, 04:23 PM
TyPeRbOy634

Well form the 8 horses i got from mine id say its prett damn good..=) the AEM ...how much did you get form your comptech? I fyou wanna go by "personal" experience and i have the dyno charts..next post..youll see em
Old 07-04-2002, 08:54 AM
George Knighton

I sure wish you knew what your car showed stock. I don't know if either of us is going to have a way to absolutely prove it via personal dynos.

Both of my readings are on Dynojets.

Completely stock, my '00 ITR was 158 SAE corrected.

It's now 182.4.

Comptech Icebox, JDM header, Carsound cat, and SMSP 2.5" quiet exhaust. That's it.

Just about anybody will tell you that the JDM header and Carsound cat together is worth about 8 HP. That brings it to 166, and we'll have to argue what of the remaining 16 HP is due to the Icebox and what horses are due to the SMSP exhaust.

I'll be able to give you more information soon, because the owner of SMS Products too umbrage at some comments and wants to dyno the car again.

We're going to dyno it w/the SMSP exhaust, then a stock exhaust, then a Mugen exhaust.

With a stock exhaust on, and knowing that just about everyone says the JDM header and cat gives 8 HP, we might be able to estimate what the Icebox is doing.

Please allow me to apologise for the tone in my previous post. It was a little too harsh.

There have been threads in another forum comparing the AEM and Icebox, but the search function isn't working well enough for me to find them.

Quick Reply: To AEM or not to AEM??