Notices

To AEM or not to AEM??

Old 08-01-2002, 11:17 PM
DaRKniGhT ITR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here you are again!....hehe You must be the guy i raced...chris' friend right? Wassup man
Old 08-02-2002, 05:45 AM
slickboy
ECHC junkee

If you take a good look at the ITR intake system, it is very comparable to the Comptech Icebox. Now all of yall can argue til you're blue in the face about which is better that which. When it comes down to it, the Type R is something that Honda spent time and money perfecting. They paid attention to the smallest of details with this car. How many other cars have the smooth power and excellent drivability off the shelf like the ITR does? Prolly not too many, especially in that price range. Back to the intake...I too have seen dynos on the different intake systems for the R, and they're always different, just like every motor is a little different. Overall I've seen SLIGHTY better gains with the Comptech Icebox. Because the stock ITR airbox was so well designed, you're better off spending your time and money elsewhere. I too have also seen losses on an ITR when an aftermarket CAI is used. With the Icebox, you don't have to worry about hydrolocking the same as the AEM CAI, or most other intakes because of their exposed filter element. I know that AEM does have that bypass valve, but I also know that when using that, you really minimize any power gains that you would have seen with the intake. Go for whatever one you want, it's as simple as that.
Old 08-04-2002, 11:40 AM
kabob

Originally posted by slickboy
I know that AEM does have that bypass valve, but I also know that when using that, you really minimize any power gains that you would have seen with the intake.
Not true, friend. The bypass valve is a nice large circle the same diameter as the piping on the AEM intakes. It is non-restrictive, does not significantly disrupt air flow and will save your car's life. In my old Eclipse GT, I would have hydrolocked last May if it wasn't for the bypass valve cutting air flow to my engine. Only problem is that you have to cut and trim your CAI for it to fit in an ITR.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:37 AM
absolute

anyone know where i can get a jdm itr header?
Old 11-08-2004, 05:24 AM
bbasso

I got mine from Passwordjdm.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:41 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally Posted by absolute
anyone know where i can get a jdm itr header?
you brought this 2 year old thread out of retirement to ask this question? you could have started your own thread.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:15 PM
George Knighton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bbasso
I got mine from Passwordjdm.
That'd be the easiest, most reliable thing to do, yes.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:46 AM
pUrExTc
殺生丸

I like my AEM CAI (I put the bypass on it, sure it might rob u of HP gains a little, but it's that, or running the risk of a $4k motor (it's a daily driven car, I need it when it rains)).

It does sound a little ricey when VTEC hits though, but it's all good. Anyone else get that "whistling" sound when lightly hitting the throttle between 3 and 5k RPM?
Old 11-10-2004, 01:30 PM
George Knighton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure why we're still wondering about this and talking about it.

Sakai's testing showed that the AEM lost HP when used on the USDM ITR, compared to the OEM airbox.

Filter on a stick got good dyno results, and so did the J's Racing and the Mugen.

The Comptech Icebox is still a good choice if you can get one cheaply, but it is outperformed by both the J's Racing and the Mugen.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:39 PM
Opie
Ball Breaker

I have an AEM for sale

Quick Reply: To AEM or not to AEM??