Notices

PLEASE HELP - Distributor problem, car wont start

Old 12-28-2002, 06:07 AM
fallenlordz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP - Distributor problem, car wont start

Can someone please help me with my current problem.. I have a 1992 ACURA integra GS. The problem appeared as I was driving from New York to Atlanta (850 miles)

Once I arrived in atlanta my cheak warning light came on the dashboard. Then i opened my car hood and looked at it, I started hearing sqeaking and banging noise coming from the distributor.

Later I opened the distributor cap and I saw that the rotor was wobbling alittle bit back and forth. So I thoght that was the problem.

I then went to the Acura Dealer and got a new distributor (I does not wobble), I also got a new Rotor and new Cap just to be on the safe side. After I put in the coils and the wires form my old disributor to my new distributor, I then put on rotor and cap, then attached the spark wires.

Here comes problem.. My car will not start when I turn on the ignition key. I hear normal sounds but I dont think there is any spark goin to my engine. ( I also bought new spark plugs and wires to be safe)

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY SUGGESTIONS. (I have to goo back to NY this week) I would bring the car in to the ACURA dealer but the car doesnt start. PLEASE HELP!!!!
Old 12-29-2002, 04:39 AM
fallenlordz

I think my friend accidently installed the distributor wrong way (180 degrees opposite to the Camshaft grooves)

Could this have messed up the Camshaft position & caused the car not to start up?
Old 12-29-2002, 04:02 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

It's possible. Another possibility is that you have a bad ignitor. Once it goes bad the car won't start and since you still have the old one, it still could be preventing you from starting.
Old 12-29-2002, 04:16 PM
93Integra

Just read my Haynes manual to refresh my memory. It turns out that it is not possible to install it 180 out because the grooves on the end of the cam is offset to prevent this. Make sure that the #1 piston is at TDC and the rotor is pointing to the #1 terminal on the cap (lower left corner of cap). Not trying to be an @$$, but did you make sure the spark plug wires were installed right on the cap. If every thing was done right and it still won't start check for spark. I had this prob. (no start) and I found out that my ignition coil blew. Got a new one and put it in and it started right up. Good luck!
Old 12-29-2002, 04:21 PM
VPUPPY

did you set your timing?