Notices

Finally made my decision..GSR swap !!!

Old 12-16-2002 | 03:46 AM
eclipse spanker

Default Finally made my decision..GSR swap !!!

For those of who have been following my long and often times confused journey through the tuner world, I would like to just bring you up tp speed on my situation........As many of you remember from before, I was supposed to buy a GSR from a guy that I met for 5000 $........well he pulled a fast one over me. He told me that he was waiting for the title in the mail, and that he would call me when he got it........2 weeks later I called him back, and he told me that he already sold it for 7000 $ ( I dont blame him; more money is a good thing !).
So due to this setback, I had to make a serious decision; whether I wanted to continue to look for a G3 GSR, or keep my G2, and tune it. Well a few weeks ago, my buddy helped me make that decision....he had a 92 civic with a B18c1 swap. Well he crashed that civic and pulled the motor and tranny, and now he is selling it for $ 1000 !!!! I figure:

G2 = :thumbup:

G2 GSR = very :thumbup:

G2 with G3 GSR motor and tranny = ownerage over a whole lot of cars out there.........

So I gave the kid 500 $ so far, and after I put it in, and see that it is running good, I will give him the other 500 $. In the future I plan on running a 9000 rpm bulletproof NA setup with a skunk2 valvetrain. For now though, just the simple swap will do

My questions are these: Do any of you guys know anyone who has done this swap before ? Do you guys know what options I have for connecting the VTEC in my car since my computer doesnt have a VTEC connection (besides getting a OBD1 P72) ?

Also, Do you know where I can find detailed instructions on this swap ?And yes I have already checked on G2IC.com, but there arent any instructions there, all there is is a motor swap guide............And also for any of you guys who have already swapped an engine in your car, and advice you can give me, about what to look out for, things that should be replaced before the engine goes in, before I start ? Any help would be appreciated guys, thanks.......
Old 12-16-2002 | 06:07 AM
BonzoAPD

good luck on this man. Sounds like an awesome project
Old 12-16-2002 | 07:13 PM
g2tegls
MR, ftw

Congratulations man, nice find. :thumbup: The Engine Swap Guide on g2ic.com has everything short of step by step instructions on how to do the install. The Helms manual has step by step on how to remove and install an engine and transmission. This is stuff to replace, taken from the guide, written by D. Platt:
 Replace the water pump & thermostat
 Replace the timing belt and timing belt tensioner
 Replace Cap, Rotor, and Spark plugs
 Adjust valves
 Replace valve cover gasket and spark plug seals
 Replace fuel filter
 Replace PCV valve
Old 12-16-2002 | 07:33 PM
LocaL raCer
R.I.P. Kato-san

sweet. very
Old 12-19-2002 | 03:48 AM
eclipse spanker

Thanks alot guys.........I just hope this engine is in decent condition............
Old 12-19-2002 | 06:10 AM
ShaolinLueb

nice man.
Old 12-21-2002 | 04:29 AM
Louse76
Team Teg Project Car

You can buy a standalone VTEC controller if you want to keep your stock ECU. But remember, you're going to want to chip it at least if you want to rev past 7100.
Old 12-21-2002 | 09:04 AM
SlprTeg

eclispe spanker, didnt u say u already had a gsr swap in your car like 3 months ago?
Old 12-21-2002 | 11:30 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

http://hybrid2.honda-perf.org
http://tech.hybridgarage.com/index.html
http://www.hasport.com
http://www.zdyne.com

Don't keep the stock ECU. Get an OBDI P72 and add the couple of wires you need to the harness.
Old 12-21-2002 | 01:55 PM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

put some sheit like aftermarket underdrive pulleys on it, then like g2tegls posted, the timing belt, water pump etc.... easier to do this sheit outside of the car maybe also get some urethane bushings for your old motor mounts or some nice aftermarket motor mounts.... they can make some reduction in torque steer and sheit