Notices

Marker lights / Dash light fuses keep blowing (Need Advice/Help)

Old 11-11-2002, 06:38 PM
Spy021

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marker lights / Dash light fuses keep blowing (Need Advice/Help)

I recently had my factory radio replaced by Acura because of a broken volume knob (under warranty). A couple of days later, I was heading out with some friends to the drag strip at night. On the way there, I went over a fairly rough RR crossing. As I did, I noticed my dash lights went out (no speedo lights, tach lights, or A/C lights). At this point, I'm thinking it's a fuse and no big deal and will replace it when we stop for gas. While driving down the road, a buddy of mine in another car informs me that my brake lights and corner lights are not on - but the brake lights come on when I press the brake pedal.

So we stop at a gas station as start checking fuses. I find that the Dash light fuse (under the dash) and the marker light fuse (under the hood) are blown. So I try replacing them and they keep blowing. However, if I just replace one of them, it does not blow. Needless to say, I currently have the corner/tail lights fuse in and the dash fuse out (blown).

I took it back to the dealer and had them check it out, thinking it may be something that was caused by careless installation of the radio. However, after tearing part of the interior down, I was told that it was the aftermarket Viper alarm (the tech said the install looked shoddy) and not the radio (which they removed and said it continued to blow fuses). However, I have had the alarm in the car for almost 2 yrs and never had a bit of problems until the radio was serviced. Since it was related to an aftermarket part, I got hit with the labor charges. Now, I have to go back to the place where I got my alarm and try to get them to fix it, since the dealer wouldn't touch it without major $$$$.

Based on my long winded explanation, I have a few questions...

1) Does is sound feasible that the alarm is the culprit, even though it worked problem free the past 2 yrs?

2) I don't want to have to shell out more cash to the place where the alarm was installed (Circuit City - No grief, please) , only to have them say... "The alarm is fine" Any ideas on how to handle the situation?

3) If it is in fact the alarm, would there be a snowballs chance in hell that I could get reimbursed the cost of having the car checked out, only to find that the install job of the alarm is the cause?

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-01-2003, 09:43 PM
CasiCUA

I am currently experiencing this same problem and also suspect the alarm. I say this because even though the dash light is blown, when I arm or disarm the alarm, the dash light still goes on. Out of curiousity, when everything is off, and you press the brake, do the dash and taillights go on?
Lemme know if you solve the problem, and I'll let you know if I solve mine.:thumbup:

CasiCUA@Yahoo.com
Old 12-01-2003, 10:15 PM
stevieteg

I had the same problem, and it was due to the radio wiring, whatever wires that powers the dimmer on the radio was touching some metal, and caused a short. Your tail lights probably don't work either, beuase the are powered by the same fuse. You mentioned radio work so pull out the deck and look for some bare wires.