it grinds in 3rd everytime except between rpms of 3k & 4k
&
it grinds in reverse all the time

what could that mean?????
Old 10-02-2002, 08:24 PM
gc94GSR
Roving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appear to have a similar problem... occasional problems getting into first and reverse gear. I sometimes have to put it into 1st or 2nd to move the car a little forward before it will go into reverse.

As for the first problem, when stopped and in neutral, the tranny will sometimes refuse to go into first unless I switch between 2nd and neutral several times.

In winter, I will often get crunching when shifting into 2nd (from 1st) unless I double clutch or the tranny has sufficiently warmed up enough.

Now some might say these problems are normal but I didn't have any of these issues when the car was newer (say < 5 yrs old) and yes the transaxle oil has been changed a few times.

Gordon.
Old 10-02-2002, 09:23 PM
thx247

yes first and reverse dont have syncros. Reverse is a dog cut too which is why it makes lots of noise.

You can do the trick with 2nd and first gear that others mentioned, or you can blip the throttle and then goto first. Otherwise the car needs to be stopped for you to be able to get it in first. I'd say what your experincing is pretty normall.
Old 10-03-2002, 02:47 AM
newgsrdriver

Originally posted by AcuraFiend

...temporarily. and use a lubricant(WD40 is more for cleaning)
WD40 will work fine. Especially since you can barely fit your finger with some lithium grease or something into that small area. If you want, silicone spray will do the trick as well.

And yes, it will work temporarily...but thats going to be your problem, is not being lubricated in those areas. So, if it bothers you that much, drive over to pep boys and find a lubricant designed for the application, and use that.

If its not that, chances are it could be your TO bearing, which would ruin your day more than spending 5 minutes lubing it up
Old 10-03-2002, 06:57 AM
reech-around
RIP Woong.

i had the same prob on my oem clutch. turned out that one of the springs had popped off the clutch
Old 10-03-2002, 08:39 AM
gc94GSR
Roving Member

Originally posted by rich

i had the same prob on my oem clutch. turned out that one of the springs had popped off the clutch
Was that the creaky clutch problem or the can't get into 1st gear problem or both? Were there any other symptoms? What did you do to fix it?

Gordon.
Old 10-03-2002, 01:10 PM
reech-around
RIP Woong.

Originally posted by gc94GSR

Was that the creaky clutch problem or the can't get into 1st gear problem or both? Were there any other symptoms? What did you do to fix it?

Gordon.
it was creaking, and getting it in first gear was nearly impossible. had to replace it h:
Old 10-03-2002, 08:51 PM
Dedalus2k

First of all thanks for all the posts...:thumbup:
I doubt it's my throw out bearing as that was replaced with the whole clutch set not more than eight or nine months (though I have dumped the clutch a few times "street racing" :nono: so I suppose it's possible)
But what's causing me concern now is that creaking suddenly stopped completely this morning on my way to work. It had gotten heated up sitting in LA traffic on HWY 10 :madfawk: and was creaking like crazy. I saw an opening in traffic and punched it especially hard and pulled up into the slot and it hasn't creaked at all ever since. In fact it feels really smooth, almost soft, but everything is engaging and disengaging fine. (Except for that first gear thing, which I find from this post and elsewhere is very common and can't be fixed short of pulling apart or replacing the whole damn tranny.)
My experience with cars is when a problem suddenly fixes itself, more often than not, it means something else even more serious has phukt up. Any ideas, what if anything that might be?: