Notices

94 Integra with OBD2 GSR Engine - Failed Smog

Old 07-27-2005, 04:31 PM
CarbonPhyber
JDM Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Integra with OBD2 GSR Engine - Failed Smog

Hey guys,
I bought an integra about 6 weeks ago. As-is. I knew what I was getting into and it's been a fun project car. My next step: pass smog.

I did a pre-test yesterday. It was basically the first time I've driven the car out of my driveway. The smoketest worked - so I went in for a pre-test just to see if the engine was any good and what I should expect to invest to pass smog. It passed all of the visual/functional categories, but failed 4 parts of the sniffer.

Posted are the numbers below:

15 MPH
=====
HC
max - 90
avg - 21
meas - 106

CO
max - .54
avg - .06
meas - .37

NO
max - 711
avg - 150
meas - 1499

25 MPH
=====
HC
max - 56
avg - 13
meas - 60

CO
max - .53
avg - .05
meas - .15

NO
max - 754
avg - 136
meas - 792

The mech recorded timing as 14 (degress BTDC?). Interesting to note: When I bought the car, body panels and some engine bay parts were missing. These included the distributor. I bought one off a local kid and installed it myself... by hand and I "eyeballed" (guessed) on the timing. I didn't measure the timing myself before I did the pretest.

I searched and found instructions on checking the ignition timing. When I pulled out the timing light, I was an idiot and I loosened the distributor before I got a good "before" reading (so I couldn't verify the 14 DBTDC the mech measured).

After I loosened the dizzy, I checked the timing and it was way out of whack - somewhere in the range of 8-12 (when factory is 14-18). Could advanced timing alone be the culprit or is it time to consider options like a new cat/o2 sensors, etc? I'm sure the car will need these eventually (148k miles), but I don't know how old the current setup (cat, sensors, etc) is.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:02 PM
foot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adjust your timing properly. That will help alot. Did you do a bag of tune up parts? Might be lookin at a new cat. You can actually drill a hole in the cat to get a "before cat" reading for the smog dood to check before actually replacing the cat. If the "before" is WAY worse than the "after" reading, weld the hole shut and start doing engine work.