Notices

Blue Smoke

Old 07-18-2005, 10:52 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should do a leakdown test as well to determine if the rings are to blame. I have my money on the oil control rings since the compression numbers look good. I had bad rings and good compression results, so double check it with a compression test. If your headgasket were bad, it would most likely show up on the compression test, which it did not.

The pipe that leads from the intake to the valve cover should only flow air. I know that the pipe that is joined to it leads from underneath the throttle body to the head and flows coolant, so make sure that one is flowing coolant and one is flowing air.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:14 PM
wildcarditr102
My new toy

Ok, thank god. That's the last thing I need to go wrong right now.

I do have a leakdown tester, but is there anyway to set a cylinder to TDC without using the crank (fully-assembled engine)? Is there an easy way to tell if it's at TDC? I tried to just crank it and get lucky but I didn't

Thanks,
Jake
Old 01-25-2006, 05:13 AM
wildcarditr102
My new toy

Just to update everyone-I got my engine rebuilt back in November 05. The problem has been fixed (would be REALLY worried if it didnt). After putting 1,000 miles on it in 4 days, I got to have a little fun before I left...the rebuild definitely fixed it. It's now very smooth and clean.

I have all the old parts in a box and seals in a ziplock back at home, so when I get back I will take a close look and get some pictures up so we can try to figure out what was causing the problem. Most remarkable is that I had to replace all the valves because they were pitted. I got a Honda OEM rebuild kit, new oil pan and valve cover from Acura of Escondido and got ripped off on the valves from some local dealer.

Will post the pics in April and thanks again for all the help-I learned a lot.

Jake