Notices

Coilover sleeve adjustments after shock install

Old 08-28-2002, 04:34 PM
Spec R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilover sleeve adjustments after shock install

A couple weeks back, I FINALLY got myself a set of KYB AGX shocks. The ride quality hasn't seized to amaze me (daily driving i have the fronts at 2 and the rear at 1), but there's been something thats been bothering me.

On the stock shocks, I had my coilovers (not really proud of them, dont knock em til you've ridden in my car, they're from Matrix, but they've held up real well, and I got them real cheap. the ride is very similar, if not the same as my friend's Ground Controls, with 450 lb springs in front and 350 lb springs rear - same rates as the basic ground controls - so they're a lot softer than the 800/600 of skunk2) perfectly even at all corners (i measure from the fender to the centercap) with me sitting in the car. I'm aware of the importance corner weights, and how only a minor adjustment to the collar goes a long way in affecting the balance of proper corner weighting also. Anyway...

After putting the coilovers on the new AGX shocks, i totally had to readjust the collars. Each corner was at totally different heights, but were only about 3/4" within each other's measurements, so it wasnt blaringly terrible. So I spent many hours adjusting the collars to get it perfect (i have to take off the rear wheels to adjust the rear collars), and been drove around like that for a week or so. Out of curiosity, i decided to measure the distances yesterday, only to find them out of balance again. What the hell?? I adjusted the rear passenger side 1/4" inch higher and the rest of the car was perfect again, but i noticed something odd that I failed to realize before...all the shocks have different amounts of travel....the locations of the collars is not the same on all corners, but when the car is not on jacks, and with me in it, its perfectly even...so my question to this long story is..."is this bad for my shocks??" my neighbor and I know our stuff, and installed everything to the best of our combined knowledge...shoot, we even torque'd everything to spec according to his helm's manual

please refrain from clowning on the fact that they're matrix coilover sleeves, because i've seen this happen to ground controls, skunk2's, and other sleeves, where they have the collars turned all the way down, and the owner counts how many turns up they go, and make it the same number of turns at all corners, only to have a totally lopsided car....

if u actually read all this, THANKS!!! any help is greatly apreciated...:thumbup:
Old 08-28-2002, 05:20 PM
Taiwanze7

hmmm...are the alignment specs correct?
Old 08-28-2002, 08:31 PM
Spec R

Havent been to alignment place yet...but that neighbor of mine says everything looks within spec...i believe his words cuz he's a road race nut, and does all his cars on his own by eye...