Notices

which header would you guys recommend?

Old 07-29-2004, 01:06 PM
Capt. Type R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which header would you guys recommend?

i'm planning on keeping the engine stock (internals and stuff), except for an aem cai, and i was wondering what header would you guys recommend for this kind of setup. i was thinkin about the jdm 4-1 for a little extra power, and then possibly a new cat and mugen exhaust. then i also heard that toda's header makes the most power all around the rpm range. would that be an overkill? do you guys recommend the jdm 4-1 with possibly later adding a new cat and mugen exhaust? or what other header would be good for an almost stock daily driver type r?

any feed back would help greatly. thanks.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:06 PM
PikkaGTR
Power of Dreams

the Toda header would be overkill for your mild bolt-on setup
i'd go with the dc sports SS 4-1 jdm header
it should give some power from 4k an up in the power band, and you wont lose any down low either
Old 07-29-2004, 04:43 PM
George Knighton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If all you're doing is the computer then, yes, you are on the right track w/the OEM JDM 4-1 or the DC Sports JDM 4-1 and then finishing the exhaust w/something good.

I don't like the Mugen exhaust only because I think it costs too much for what it gives you.

I don't know where you got that the Toda was the best header, either, because the SMSP header was the winner in the last Great Header Shootout, wasn't it?

I went through a couple of different stages w/exhausts.

My car responded very well w/the OEM JDM 4-1 header and SMSP 2.5" exhaust. The OEM JDM header also has heat shields that can be added to give an OEM appearance to a USDM car that you want to keep basically stock.

I now have an SMSP header and a completely different SMSP 2.5" exhaust. Dyno at http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/georgeknighton .
Old 07-29-2004, 05:33 PM
Rene M
Austin Texas

Stilll have that JDM header??? I want one in a bad way but at $400 per ouch...
Old 07-29-2004, 06:27 PM
George Knighton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, that was a long time ago. I can't even remember who got it. The DC Sports JDM 4-1 does just as well, and is cheaper.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:07 PM
Splitime

Originally Posted by George Knighton
I don't know where you got that the Toda was the best header, either, because the SMSP header was the winner in the last Great Header Shootout, wasn't it?
I think he was looking more at "prefab" headers, not custom/waiting list headers. Plus the Toda is expensive... but not as expensive as Dave or Johns work.

Toda is one of the best mass produced headers, and would suit your NA mild setup fine. What you should do though, is ask yourself what you want to spend. Not sure why Pikka feels it would be too much. I'm of the mindset that boltons and tuning are the best route to reliable power for many many miles. i/h/e and tuning is all I run and I'm very happy with the power put down.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:57 AM
d-sisive407

Originally Posted by Splitime
Not sure why Pikka feels it would be too much.
great question right there. why would it b overkill to have a toda header? the b18c5 makes plenty of power to perform well with a toda header. correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure the toda header a 2.5 collective header, right? and i know for a fact the jdm itr 4-1 is 2.5 as well, cause i had it on my previous car (b16a2). and why would you go SS? personally IMO, i would just save up and wait to get a custom header. smsp, hytech, etc.. something like that.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:17 AM
Rene M
Austin Texas

Originally Posted by George Knighton
No, that was a long time ago. I can't even remember who got it. The DC Sports JDM 4-1 does just as well, and is cheaper.
I do not care for the 4-1 colector that came off of a sbc header. I have a dc on the crx and am not that impressed. I want the stock jdm one but thanks..
Old 07-30-2004, 08:53 AM
Capt. Type R

what kind of modification would have to be done to the cat for the jdm 4-1 to fit? and if i didn't put on an exhaust right away, would i be sacrificing power and possibly damage the car or engine?

thanks for the feed back. it's been really helpful.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:58 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

you would need to have the flange on the cat changed to a 2.5" one. or get a new 2.5" cat.