Notices

ITR Expo: OEM Seats and Autopower Bars

Old 03-23-2004, 07:41 AM
George Knighton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris N
I have a stock seat and an AP Rollbar with Diagonal Cross bar and Harness bar....I plan on having harnesses by then, but do not have plans for a seat. I would love to have one, but cannot afford 2 seats (the only fair way), so until then... OEM seats.

I'm specifically concerned about the ERW part, as I have no idea if my rollbar is ERW.
We mentioned ERW only because it's the only setup still manufactured by Autopower.

If you have one of the older DOM or (God help your banker) one of the chromalloy setups, they are equally acceptable.

It sounds like you know what you're doing, Chris.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:49 AM
.RJ
Go Fast Crack Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by George Knighton
We mentioned ERW only because it's the only setup still manufactured by Autopower.
You can buy a new DOM bar from autopower. Its $35 extra over the ERW.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:25 PM
George Knighton

We've tried to buy them before and were unsuccessful, even though they were listed.

Were you actually able to get your hands on one?
Old 03-23-2004, 01:28 PM
Chris N

At this rate, it might not matter what kind of rollbar I have!

Chris - who didn't know his JIC's would hold up as well when Rallying.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:00 PM
.RJ
Go Fast Crack Whore

We've tried to buy them before and were unsuccessful, even though they were listed.
:hammer:

I was just going on what IO Port's website lists.... Hurry up and get your car over to Piper so i can have yours!

[edit] where's my :hammer: ? wheee!
Old 03-23-2004, 03:21 PM
Daniel

Originally Posted by .RJ
:hammer:

I was just going on what IO Port's website lists.... Hurry up and get your car over to Piper so i can have yours!

[edit] where's my :hammer: ? wheee!
Use this instead: :doh:

:thumbup:
Old 03-23-2004, 04:45 PM
George Knighton

Originally Posted by .RJ
Hurry up and get your car over to Piper so i can have yours!
You want Sakai's phone number? LOL....

The block had to be done over. I don't think it's going to be anytime soon.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:33 PM
kepani

Were you actually able to get your hands on one?
how recent was this? i'm planning on getting the dom 4pt race rollbar and removable harnessbar in the "dom" flavor from ioportracing.com whom .rj mentions. but if this is the case of it not being available, hmm...

i'm going to give ioport a call sometime this week and see their availability with the dom tubing.

george, i have a side question once again. i heard from some others on honda-tech about not passing inspection when mixing bucket seats and oem seats (i.e. my case of having the recaro spg as the driver seat and the oem itr as the passenger). do you need to have matching seat types (bucket-type seats -or- two reclinable-type seats) to pass?

is there maybe a matrix that can be made up to determine passing or failing setups?

example (made in excel):

is this something worth doing?

kepani
Old 03-24-2004, 05:24 AM
George Knighton

Originally Posted by kepani
i heard from some others on honda-tech about not passing inspection when mixing bucket seats....
If you have an FIA seat for the driver, then the instructor should be afforded the same protection. Otherwise, we run the risk of throwing the instructor around enough that it will be distracting and he might not be able to give you the kind of advice he should because he's too busy bracing himself.

As much as possible, the instructor and driver should be feeling the same load and having the same safety devices.

If the driver is advanced group and solo, then we will consider an exemption if you write us about it. In the case of a driver who is advanced and solo, he might carry a passenger with the organiser's permission, but it's not as important that the passenger remain cognizant enough of the environment to issue instructions.

Matrix: I think this is easy to remember, but I've been doing it a while. If you want to publish a matrix, we can do that, or you can send me your suggestion and I'll make sure it's right. Whatever's published cannot over ride the Expo rules, the law, or common sense decisions made after visually inspecting the safety equipment.

Honda Tech: Remember that some of us are not posting there anymore. Taking someone's word that they got it from us could be risky.

Last edited by George Knighton; 03-24-2004 at 05:27 AM.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:20 AM
kepani

If you have an FIA seat for the driver, then the instructor should be afforded the same protection. Otherwise, we run the risk of throwing the instructor around enough that it will be distracting and he might not be able to give you the kind of advice he should because he's too busy bracing himself.

Honda Tech: Remember that some of us are not posting there anymore. Taking someone's word that they got it from us could be risky.
i figured that was the reason. why place the passenger at a greater risk than driver? thanks for clarifying!

here's my future setup:
autopower 4pt (dom)
high-density-padding
recaro spg (driver & passenger)
fia approved harnesses

correct me if i'm wrong - this will be acceptable by tech?

as for the matrix, it was more of something for me to lay down on paper. i'm an engineer and i tend to like to write stuff down a lot. :P but yeah, if you think it would be a good idea, then i can spend more time cleaning it up with your final approval. let me know.

kepani