Notices

Please Explain: What is a Leak Down Test?

Old 11-12-2003, 09:38 PM
CiViC2nR86
JDM Padawin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Explain: What is a Leak Down Test?

I have seen people talk about Leak Down and compression test for a while, but now since im buying a motor from japan (Hmotoronline), I wanna make sure that I am making a good decision. What should the compression come out to be?190?

About the leakdown, please explain that to me. What are your opinions on buying JDM motors? Even with 35k miles on the motor, couldnt it still be bad if it was stomp and whomped on? I may not get one from Hmotors because there is a shop here that sells motors strait from Japan for real cheap, and I know the guy, so Labor will not be too much. I did business with him before with my transmission for my civic and he did a good job. He also gives a 6 Months, 6000k miles Warranty on all engine and transmission.

Well this post has already gone way OT, but I basically just want to know:

1)What is a leakdown test?

2)Should I get a JDM motor?
Old 11-12-2003, 10:04 PM
93HybridCX
Beast from the East

A leak down test, test to see if the rings are good and make sure they don't have alot of blow by. I think

Buying a jdm motor is ok as long as you get it from a well know shop and you do a compression and leak down test.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:32 AM
CiViC2nR86
JDM Padawin

Is Hmotorsonline a good company to buy from? ANyone have previous experiance with HMO?
Old 11-13-2003, 09:48 AM
qtiger

A leakdown test is when you rotate the crank until valves are closed on a particular cylinder and then blow compressed air into it. You listen for leaks and watch the pressure of air in the cylinder to determine if there is a problem and where the problem is.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:21 AM
Takumi Fujiwara

I've seen portable air compressors at Target, do you think these low power compressors could give me an adequate reading? I have no idea what pressure air (if that matters) you have to use.