Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Timing belts vs Timing chains...

Old 06-28-2003, 06:08 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belts vs Timing chains...

I just discovered my timing belt was missing a tooth the other day (!) while I was screwing around with my car (off the road for about a year now). I am fixing it up to be a good daily driver again, so of course I am now replacing the damaged belt.

While looking at the new belt, I remembered that the new K series engines use timing chains, so I got to thinking why Honda would change over to a timing chain. Which is better and what are the advantages of both? I am guessing the chain because, well, it's not reinforced rubber.
Old 06-28-2003, 07:11 PM
v4lu3s

a chain is generally stronger and more durable but in the past they were also al ot louder and not as easy to service. they also stretch slowly over time as well. the belt is quieter and cheaper, but has to be replaced periodically since rubber (even backed by copper) tends to wear out.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:27 PM
crxb16er

i believe id rather have a belt that is more flexible and resiliant than a stiffer chain which id be afraid would damage things if broken loose but i personally have never had a vehicle with a timing chain only belts. and yes belts are easy to replace
Old 06-30-2003, 04:04 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Most timing belts are reinforced with kevlar webbing or some other similar non-metallic material.

As for chains, they tend to add more weight into the rotating mass, are noisier, and require a continuous oil bath lubrication method when used in things like cars. That really isn't a problem, but that method is usually used most when regular service of the valve train isn't practical. Chains still stretch, so any time major maintaince is done on the engine they should be replaced since a chain can cause major damage if it were to break. But I suppose that is a moot point on a Honda, since major damage usually occurs with a broken belt as well.

Belts in general though are easier to inspect for damage [visual only], and easier to replace, even though it's required at a more regular interval.
Old 07-04-2003, 07:52 AM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Which cars does Honda use timming chains in now? I thought all their engines still use belts.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:49 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

K-series engines use chains, as well as the S2000 engines I believe...
Old 07-04-2003, 03:53 PM
MikeR

think it would be alot more trouble to convert to a chain than it's worth, and yea they will both do some "fubar",