Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

F22B1 in a Civic....problems?

Old 03-31-2003, 04:45 PM
DetroitTraitor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F22B1 in a Civic....problems?

Hey, I'm new to the site and I wanted to bounce a few questions off some of you if you don't mind.

I got my hands on a good F22B1. Full set up, tranny too. Due to my limited budget and the fact I still want to make my Civic EX a Stang killer I want to build this motor up good.

Here are my ?'s:

What parts of an H22 are interchagabe with the F. (ex, Pistions, Crank, Rods, Intake, etc.)

Being a SOHC vtec engine and the head has coolant chambers in it, how aggresivly can I port/polish the head and can I oversize the valves a bit w/o comprimising the head strength?

My near-term goal is to get this motor to pump out some serious ponies N/A, then at a later date drop compression, swap cam, and boost it (when I have the money for a turbo kit).

I know Hasport has the mounts I need, I got the angle on the computer/harness and all that. But does anyone know of any problems with fitment into my engine bay? And what about stuffing a turbo in there later?

BTW, I have a 96 Civic EX coupe, and the F22B1 came out of a 95 Accord EX.

Please throw me some advice. If you need more info lemme know.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:09 PM
teamlegacy

Why not just build it out of the car for boost...instead of wasting the N/A money, then switcing to FI? SInce your Civic motor runs, sit on the F22 for a while, build it and put it in when it's done. Now on for the Tech help.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:07 PM
DetroitTraitor

The main reason is...I can build it to run Natty. I'm tired of the D16Y8 and want to have a stronger motor in there. I can then sit on the the F22 running n/a and wait for the money to boost it later. Once the hard part, the swap is out of the way, I'll have a competitive car and then with the boost I'll have a REALLY competitive car. Keep in mind money comes, but money comes slowly for me. So it's a bit of a reward to myself to get the motor built strong, swap it, then boost it later. At least while waiting for the boost upgrade I'll have something to enjoy in the meantime.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:03 AM
teamlegacy

Well yea but going Hi-comp NA while knwoing you want boost, is a waste of money.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:58 AM
DetroitTraitor

how is it really gonna be a waste of money? Lowering the compression with new pistons and swaping the cam? If the motor is already built strong during the initial build, then there won't be much to do to the engine when it comes time to boost it. Am I right?
Old 04-01-2003, 08:08 AM
teamlegacy

In theory. But you may as well just build it for boost the first time instead of tearing it down twice. That's the logical and smartest thing to do.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:20 AM
qtiger

Personally I would leave it stock and build an H22 on the side for boost. Once you have the F22 installed a H22 will drop right in, and the F22 is the glass jaw of all Honda motors.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:21 AM
DetroitTraitor

But the question remains about the instal. wether boosted or not, what are some major hurdles I should be aware of? Fitment, etc.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:25 AM
DetroitTraitor

but I have in my hands (in my basment shop acctually) an F22. I don't have an H, nor the money to get one. See my angle here?
Old 04-01-2003, 08:25 AM
qtiger

You'll need new engine mounts and an assortment of axles and intermediates.