Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

B20Z /w B16a head - ALL stock, Reliable if only revving to 7kRPM?

Old 03-06-2003, 08:57 AM
Tr0LL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't be a dick? wtf? Ok, maybe I should have been more clear in my original post. I'll post it here..

I already know what needs to be done, in theory, to build a b20/vtec. My friend told me all about the valve reliefs, balancing the bottom end, blah blah blah. But he never did it and his car is still running strong for 1.5 years (over 30k miles)...

Now.... Can I get ACTUAL experiences from ppl with stock b20/vtecs?

BTW, here are the rules for this forum...

4.) Seniority rules. This is a tech forum, being such, the people with the most experience will likely dominate theorhetical discussions, it happens. If you are learning, there is nothing wrong with suggesting anything, but remember not to get upset if you're trumped.

note the experience part. I can care less about theorhetical discussions.

It's just like that guy that says I can't run the stock b20 pistons and how I "need" to buy 84mm vtec ones. Tell that to the ppl with stock b20 bottom like my friend. Hell even YOU disagreed and said I don't NEED to get new pistons. This is why I want ACTUAL experience.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:11 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Originally posted by Tr0LL
It's just like that guy that says I can't run the stock b20 pistons and how I "need" to buy 84mm vtec ones. Tell that to the ppl with stock b20 bottom like my friend. Hell even YOU disagreed and said I don't NEED to get new pistons. This is why I want ACTUAL experience.
Both Speed Phreak and I know Pete [Trick Turn], which is why the information we posted is what we posted. Personally, I have dealt with Pete for 3 years now, talked with him about various aspects of engines, and even offered up my advice when things have gone sour for him. Just because I'm not running a B20/VTEC does not mean I don't know what I'm talking about, nor does it mean other people offering up advice are unfounded.

There HAVE been cases where relief cuts in the pistons were needed, mostly because of machine work on the head and/or block, which is where that bit of advice comes from. If you make the cuts, you will have no worries.

There have also been cases where the block and head have been found true without requiring any machine work and therefore didn't need reliefs cut in the pistons.

By "experience" in this forum, it's classified as people who have dealt with these kinds of things before, and who have been proved and disproved on various aspects of engine configurations. If we had enough money to build all of them ourselves, we sure as hell wouldn't be in this forum, we would be at the race track 3 days a week and building the other 4.

So yes, don't be a dick. All of the information in this thread should be taken for what it is, because I guarantee you anything that is outright wrong will be caught.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:27 AM
Tr0LL

uh... how is asking for a specific answer being a dick?

I already told you why I don't want theoretical discussions. You guys showed it yourselves. One person is telling me it should be built or it wont' last. and another is telling me it will be fine. In theory, this can go on either way. But by real like experience, especially FIRST hand, I can gather much more data.

So far, all that I have gained from this post is from one person, Trickturn. Why? 29K miles on this stock b20/vtec with a lot of race time and even reving more than I plan on and the motor is fine. So both him and my friend have put a good 30k miles on their b20/vtecs and are running fine...

Maybe YOU shoulnd't be a dick by calling me a dick just because I am asking for a specific answer.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:37 PM
Speed Phreak
Turbomafia

Originally posted by Tr0LL
Maybe YOU shoulnd't be a dick by calling me a dick just because I am asking for a specific answer.
Uh ohhh... don't think a mod is gonna like being called a dick.

P.S. I have the right to be a Dick, it is my last name after all.

http://www.b20vtec.com

http://crx.honda-perf.org/articles/crvtec/crvtec.html

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/b20vtec/b20vtec.php

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/lsvtec/lsvtec.php

Good info for B20/vtec related stuffs
Old 03-08-2003, 12:31 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Here's the deal Tr0LL: you need to learn yourself some people skills.

In your first post you didn't say anything about "don't quote me engine theory." You got some quality responses. Then you decided that you wanted some people with first hand experience. That's fine. What you should not do, is insult the people who took their time to give you a perfectly good reply to your topic. This isn't the off topic forum and I'm sick of dealing with people who can't excercise a little bit of common courtesy.

Seniority rules? News flash, you registered a month ago!

Do anything remotely resembling this again and I will ban you and delete all of your posts. Don't even THINK about making a post in this thread trying to defend your position because I'll ban you for that too. Actually you won't have the chance. I'm locking this thread since it's gone beyond its usefulness. If you want to make another attempt, try being nice.