Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Aem Ems

Old 01-20-2003, 12:51 PM
98AccordEX
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aem Ems

well i was getting ready to buy the MSD 6BTM. then i looked at the AEM EMS system and saw that it controls timing. the 6BTM is like $400. i could get rid of my VAFC. and have all the other features the EMS has

1. is the EMS pretty hard to control?
2. is it worth the extra money over the 6BTM and VAFC?
3. is it better than Hondata stage 4? (i would have to convert to OBD1 unless they came out with something that works for OBD2 recently)
4. is it worth it running 10lbs of boost?
5. could i ditch my MF2 and control the extra injectors (FMAX kit) with the EMS?
6. would i need anything else other than the EMS to control boost?
7. does it have a built in boost controller?
8. does it just replace the stock ECU and allow for adjusting it and datalogging or is there more involved?
9. would i still need like the MSD 6AL?

i dont have a laptop. would you guys buy the EMS? i have a VAFC i could sell for probably $200-250. i wouldnt have to spend $400 on the 6BTM. so thats $600. so i would be spending another $400 for the EMS. then if i could get rid of the MF2 that would just be a little less i would have to actually spend. so with all that said. 6BTM or EMS? plus all the other questions above. thanks a lot guys
Old 01-20-2003, 02:47 PM
qtiger

1. Depends on your experience. Easy to control, but a large amount of features/options to control.
2. Depends on your application.
3. IMHO, yes, as it does not require chipping and has a faster response rate. I chose the EMS over the Hondata because the price of Hondata + OBDI ECU + conversion harness + EPROM burner is much more than the EMS.
4. A standalone fuel management system is a good idea for any boosted application. Type of FMS depends on your specific needs.
5. Yes, EMS supports staged injection (up to 10 injectors). You could not do this with Hondata.
6. Not unless you want something you can modify on the fly without a laptop.
7. Yes. Most people use a GM boost control solenoid and have at it.
8. Both.
9. No. Most people with the EMS just get a replacement distributor cap along with an external coil.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:58 PM
98AccordEX
Banned

thanks a lot. good info. are you happy with yours? i wanna build my motor later on so i figured it would be good to have it now. learn how to use it. then build the motor. i would have no need for the VAFC or MF2, correct? can the EMS control VTEC?
Old 01-20-2003, 04:04 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

It can take over the functions of both the VAFC and MF2. VTEC control is available. For the sake of tuning ease, it would be much simpler to get rid of the additional injectors and run one map with higher flow rate injectors in the stock location.
Old 01-20-2003, 04:44 PM
qtiger

Originally posted by 98AccordEX
thanks a lot. good info. are you happy with yours? i wanna build my motor later on so i figured it would be good to have it now. learn how to use it. then build the motor. i would have no need for the VAFC or MF2, correct? can the EMS control VTEC?
It is a very powerful tool, but it can be quite overwhelming when you first start using it. Defnately get involved in the EMS forums on AEM's page, that's the best resource there is. Even their 200 page manual doesn't cover all the stuff.

If you find something you need to control that it can't, I'd be rather surprised.
Old 01-21-2003, 04:18 PM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard that the auto-tune works failry decently. After you have a basemap, you set your target A/F ratio and drive. The EMS makes adjustments to keep you in your target range. Sounds pretty nifty.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:58 PM
mrmike

Originally posted by inspyral
I've heard that the auto-tune works failry decently. After you have a basemap, you set your target A/F ratio and drive. The EMS makes adjustments to keep you in your target range. Sounds pretty nifty.
u'll need a wideband o2 for that
Old 01-22-2003, 12:12 AM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by mrmike
u'll need a wideband o2 for that
Yup, there'd be little point in trying to tune with a stock narrow-band O2
Old 01-22-2003, 04:55 PM
-KangaRod-
Captain

but the ems can utilize a wideband o2 sensor?
Old 01-23-2003, 05:31 PM
TheRooster
Former Senior Member

Originally posted by qtiger
1. Depends on your experience. Easy to control, but a large amount of features/options to control.
2. Depends on your application.
3. IMHO, yes, as it does not require chipping and has a faster response rate. I chose the EMS over the Hondata because the price of Hondata + OBDI ECU + conversion harness + EPROM burner is much more than the EMS.
4. A standalone fuel management system is a good idea for any boosted application. Type of FMS depends on your specific needs.
5. Yes, EMS supports staged injection (up to 10 injectors). You could not do this with Hondata.
6. Not unless you want something you can modify on the fly without a laptop.
7. Yes. Most people use a GM boost control solenoid and have at it.
8. Both.
9. No. Most people with the EMS just get a replacement distributor cap along with an external coil.
I'll add my .02 and elaborate a little, although I agree completely with the above.
#3. Automapping. I don't know how precise it gets, but the fact that it does it, significantly reduces the time it takes to get a rough map set to build on. Also support for Lambda sensors. I don't believe Hondata has either.
#6-#7. It does have onboard boost capabilities. The shop I had it installed by had mixed results with it. The AEM board seems to be the same way. Mostly mediocre reviews. I ended up getting the AVC-R in addition to the EMS. I like really like gadgets though, and the AVC-R is really powerful and flexible when you get into the guts of it. Is it necessary? No... but its pretty cool. :thumbup:
#8. Just to elaborate on Qtigers point, you replace the ECM in the kickpanel, plug your laptop (or desktop if its semi-portable and has a long serial cable) into the serial port of the unit and you're in. You plug the laptop in, turn on the software and log data or show your engine vitals. Really painless.:thumbup: