Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Car died, need help troubleshooting it

Old 12-23-2002, 10:17 AM
jgrotkier
AIM SN: Johann14420

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car died, need help troubleshooting it

91 Integra LS:

I was cruising on the highway at about 65mph the other day and suddenly my engine lost power. It was still running, but I had no power to accelerate. I downshifted to 4th and floored it, I was barely holding my speed at 45mph, and the engine didn't get louder like normally at WOT. I tried putting it into 3rd and doing the same, but it just slowed me down more. I shifted back up into 4th and just held it at WOT for as long as I could. The car gradually slowed down more and more, until eventually I just stopped it with the brakes. As soon as I came to a complete stop the engine stalled. I tried starting it back up right away, and it ran for a whole second, and stalled again....it hasn't started since.

WTF could be wrong with my car? Its getting spark, there is fuel pressure before the fuel filter (not really sure how to check it after the filter without a guage) but the fuel filter is only 2months old. I didn't run out of gas, the timing belt isn't broken, and the engine cranks with the key....

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:08 PM
KAUAI KANE
91' Toyota Supra

Location: Iwakuni, Japan. And where ever the Marine Corps sends me

where is it getting spark from. check the distributorb and also check the igniter unit so basically check your whole ignition system (rotor, cap to see if contact points are good wires "how old are they etc.)
Old 12-23-2002, 02:45 PM
jgrotkier
AIM SN: Johann14420

I checked for spark at the plugs. The cap and wires are also only about 2 months old.
Old 12-24-2002, 10:27 AM
undrgrndhaqer
Mr. EG

A friend of mine had a similar situation with his old school prelude. The only difference was that he had alot of engine noise. But he same problem. Turned out to be a bent valve and the motor is now crap.