Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

rebuild tranny? or new one?

Old 12-30-2002, 10:38 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry your thread got blown up like that, ferrealb16 seems to have been on a bit of a rampage. Had we mods known he would have derailed three separate threads I know I personally would have just deleted his posts.
Old 12-31-2002, 05:06 AM
rev

As a side note, a torque converter is another type of viscous coupling device if that makes it any easier for some readers to figure out. The directed fluid in motion is what causes both sides of the coupled device to rotate at appx the same speed.
Old 12-31-2002, 06:48 AM
ferrealb16

Originally posted by MrFatBooty
I'm not trying to school anyone here. I'm a moderator of this forum which means I'm supposed to correct what I feel is improper information. Please try and refrain from tossing around insults because I have disagreed with you.
so you should protect the boards from your input. you simply said a viscous limited slip diff does not have a clutch pack, it has a viscous coupling consisting of an impeller wheel attatched to the input and output shaft spinning in viscous fluid. well how does it attach to the input/output shaft? let me further read from the article on the viscous lsd. "as the "clutch" plates slide relative to each other, the special fluid heats up and the two output shafts are progressively locked together once the temperature exceeds approximately 100*C." this entire operation works because the "clutch" plates operate similiar to a centrifical clutch.

and what did i say do with the tranny? take it to a tranny shop and have the gears bronze faced if you would like to keep them still.

im not whoring this thread, we are still talking about trannies arent we? someone said quiafe, and i added more information to what they said about it, and you started me off in this direction tellin me i dont know what im talking about.
Old 12-31-2002, 08:13 AM
TheRooster
Former Senior Member

Originally posted by CivOnDubs
all i wanted to know was if i should attempt to rebuild it, or get a new gsr/type r tranny......

can't we all just get along :dunno:
It comes down to money and your experience. You can rebuild a manual transmission very easily.... if you make sure to label everything and follow the directions. My buddy and I ended up tearing mine down and building it up several times while trying to install a used ITR differential. (I agree with MrFatBooty, that this would be an excellent time to replace it if you rebuild, but I disagree with the quaife. It's no doubt one of the best built lsd's on the market, and if you can afford it, you wouldn't do wrong to get one. Bang for the buck though, a used ITR differential is much better. With the LSD, bearings and seals, it cost me right at $400.) Taking the transmission apart isn't terribly hard, like I said. The only special tools you'll need are a factory service manual, torque wrenchs, ball joint puller, transmission jack (or steady hands on a regular floor jack :thumbup: ), feeler gages, a seal driver set, snap ring pliers, a big rubber mallet or deadblow, and a press, in addition to you standard tools. The gears actually lift right out on the shaft, and slide on and off fairly easily. I found this out by accidently turning the shafts upside down, which spilled the gears, synchros and collars all over the floor. Another interesting note, you can fully assemble your transmission with the reverse idler gear upside down, which will prevent it from shifting and cause you to have to pull the transmission back out of the car. That took about four hours to find.
If you really like tinkering with shiz though, getting in and fooling around with rebuild is pretty neat. And when you do twowheel burnouts in your bosses packing space to celebrate the working you've done, thats pretty neat too. :thumbup:

I've got some neat pictures in my album, just to sort of give you an idea.
Car pictures
Old 12-31-2002, 03:57 PM
CivOnDubs

yeah, i would consider that, but how much do new gear synchros cost me plus the $400 LSD ?

Also, my friend have told me i should spend that on better mods than a tranny with lsd, more the lsd part.....and its not worth it for street racing/track ?(LSD)

Sounds like a project, but I have been in worse catostrophes....with my car.

Oh yeah, #3 cylinder also has 120 psi compression and the rest have 175-180. So, I am thinking headgasket, or rings...still need to do a leak down test.