Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

rebuild tranny? or new one?

Old 12-25-2002, 09:05 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 4.785 FD is short as hell. Doing 80 mph on the highway in 5th gear you'll be around 4500 RPM at least. Kind of annoying.
Old 12-26-2002, 07:33 AM
rev

Not that you would be doing 80 on the highway,because that would be illegal...

Anyhow, yesterday I watched a customer of mine in the SCCA SSC national championchip race replay yesterday in a Civic SI and I can tell you he uses a stock tranny that they rebuild about every 5 races under brutal conditions and it works just great. I couldn't tell you the final drive though.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:55 PM
southsol
Robert

I have just went through buying and rebuilding a gsr tranny. @ 1st I ordered the wrong syncros for the 3rd,4th gear shafts, so I then ordered complete gsr tranny= $950 used. Had it installed along with ACT H.D clutch, drove home (fine) got home And shattered Bell housing putted home and due to the christmas hol. Began rebuilding tranny w/ parts from old tranny.
Hell
Finally got it, Not a moderate chore. I have 2 shops that are helpful and very reputable depending on where you live?
(Louisiana)--Hope this helped after a month of putting threads on here I got no helpful response, so trying to offer suggestion
again hoped it helped.
Old 12-27-2002, 05:46 PM
CivOnDubs

yea, after i think about it, my best bet is too just get a type r tranny.
Old 12-29-2002, 03:09 PM
ferrealb16

Originally posted by MrFatBooty
Your problem is most likely just a couple of worn syncros. I would buy a Quaife diff, have a transmission shop fix all the syncro issues and install the diff.
im gonna add to this qtiger. if you have worn synchros, you can bronze face the teeth and that will cure that problem. if you want to pick up 5% hp you should rebuild the tranny with straight face gears. granted this isnt a normal daily driver fix, but it does pick up hp, thusly speed. but be warned, if you hate the noise reverse makes, dont think straight face. the faster you wind a straight face gear, the higher pitch the whine becomes.

quaiffe makes the best lsd on the market as far as im concerned. it is a Torsen type II lsd, meaning it has no clutch packs or anything else to prematurely wear. it is strictly gears that drives/handles almost identical to an open diff. if your familiar with subaru's you should be aware they use viscous type lsd's which have clutch packs in them. and if you do know subaru's you might have heard people talk about how it "skips" thru turns. this occurs because viscous lsd's lock up from heat, and when taking high speed turns, some wheels dont want to rotate, in turn causing the clutch packs in the lsd to slip, causing friction which in turn heats them up. quaiffe/torsen type lsd's do not suffer from this because it is a complete gear setup so you wont suffer from torque input steering. it rolls right thru the powerband with no problem, keeping power almost equally distributed to both drive wheels.
Old 12-29-2002, 03:47 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

First off, I'm not qtiger.

Secondly, the gears in the transmission are most likely still fine. Not everyone is trying to build a race car here.

Thirdly, Quaife (only one 'f') does not make Torsen diffs. The Torsen company makes Torsen diffs. Yes they are similar in operation, but Torsen is a company.

Fourthly, a viscous limited slip diff does not have a clutch pack, it has a viscous coupling consisting of an impeller wheel attatched to the input and output shaft spinning in viscous fluid. Hence the name. But you knew that.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:10 AM
ferrealb16

Originally posted by MrFatBooty
First off, I'm not qtiger.

Secondly, the gears in the transmission are most likely still fine. Not everyone is trying to build a race car here.
do you know how to read? i gave him the ups and downs of straight face gears. i also told him if his synchros are worn, he can have them bronze faced, which would save him from the cost of buying new gears. instead of reading what you want to hear, why dont you read what i write?
Thirdly, Quaife (only one 'f') does not make Torsen diffs. The Torsen company makes Torsen diffs. Yes they are similar in operation, but Torsen is a company.
and you are wrong again. quiafe makes an all gear lsd, torsen makes an all gear lsd. have you sat down with someone who has been building race cars, nitro draggers, alchohol boats, and tear open a quiafe lsd? probably not, but i have. it is a torsen type II lsd. open it up, open up a torsen lsd and compare...youll see they are just about identical. answer me this, does the quaife use high-helix angle INVEX gears or does it place all the gears on parallel shafts?
Fourthly, a viscous limited slip diff does not have a clutch pack, it has a viscous coupling consisting of an impeller wheel attatched to the input and output shaft spinning in viscous fluid. Hence the name. But you knew that.
a viscous does use "clutch packs" that sit in the viscous fluid. tell me what a viscous coupling is please..please explain this one for our viewers.

viscous differential-the viscous differential takes advantage of the characteristics of a special high-viscosity fluid. the two output shafts are connected to each other with a standard open diff and also through a multi-plate "clutch" with no mechanical contact (but very tight clearances). -Race Car Vehicle Dynamics, section 20.2.

read this book, as i have done. you can find it in your local university library.

in fact, i bet you cant even name 7 different types of differentials, but yet your gonna try to school me? you better step back down off your stool before i become enraged and started dropping pages upon pages of knowledge on your uneducated azz.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:22 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Once again no need to get hostile.

Read your blurb from that book again. It's a "clutch," not a clutch. The author uses the word "clutch" so that the reader can understand the operation of the unit, not to state that a viscous coupling in fact has a clutch. Note that there is no mechanical contact. There is no such thing as a clutch which does not make some form of mechanical contact.

I'm not trying to school anyone here. I'm a moderator of this forum which means I'm supposed to correct what I feel is improper information. Please try and refrain from tossing around insults because I have disagreed with you.
Old 12-30-2002, 08:14 PM
VtecApprentice

Knowledge and experiance make a difference . . i read alot of these stuff too . . but i realise that different author says different things . . so i rather trust experiances then knowledge from books : anyway . . . someone who read alots may not know how to do whereas someone who do alot sure knows what they are doing . .
Old 12-30-2002, 09:11 PM
CivOnDubs

all i wanted to know was if i should attempt to rebuild it, or get a new gsr/type r tranny......

can't we all just get along :dunno: