Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Which Variable Valve Timing is better ? ?

Old 11-18-2002, 06:33 AM
VtecApprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Variable Valve Timing is better ? ?

I realise that many other brands also did play around with the Variable Vale Timing technology like Honda Vtec . . and my question is . . what made Honda's Vtec stands out amoung all ? ?

Subaru : Active Valve Control System (variable valve timing)
Toyota : Variable Valve timing with intelligence (VVT-i) technology
Mitsubishi : Mivec stands for Mitsubishi Innovative Valve timing with lift Electronic Control

These are a few Variable Valve Timing Technology other then Vtec i know . . I think i've missed out some other brands technology

Can someone convince me that Vtec is the best amoung all ? ? and can expert here comment on the different rechnology please.

ThankzZ :thumbup:
Old 11-18-2002, 09:15 AM
Doofnoil

I think that they are all the same, vtec is just an extra set of lobes on the cams with a more agressive lift and duration to provide more power whenever the engine hits a certain rpm.
hence VARIABLE valve timing, i don't think any one company is better because to my knowledge(which is very limited) they all use the same basic principles as honda, however most people chose honda A: because of hidden performance and overall integrity that the engines possess and B: Honda has been at the vtec technology for awhile now and has the kinks worked out of it for the most part....who need vtec anyway?
Old 11-18-2002, 10:00 AM
forcedinduction

I believe that Honda has the jump on everyone else because they were the first to get it on the market and patent it, which restricted other auto makers from coming out with it for X number of years. Even though they all do 'basically' the same thing many manufactures have a different way of going about it.

Porsche has their own too.
Old 11-18-2002, 10:24 AM
taylormadem5

You forgot the best "vtec" application, BMW's double Vanos system, its awsome.
Old 11-18-2002, 11:43 AM
jclau00

http://www.edmunds.com/news/innovati...9/article.html

brief description of variable valve timing systems from honda, toyota, and bimmer.
Old 11-18-2002, 11:47 AM
jclau00

along the same lines, saab developed variable compression. it's not as widely known as vtec yet, but perhaps someday.

http://www.edmunds.com/news/innovati...7/article.html
Old 11-18-2002, 11:58 AM
v4lu3s

vtec was around long before the others...the BMW system looks like the most advanced right now though.
Old 11-18-2002, 12:07 PM
-KangaRod-
Captain

Of the three you listed there, the Toyota system is probably the most advanced simply because it was the last one designed. VTEC was so widely "popular" because it was the first out, and came in some pretty potent sport compacts. You may think that VTEC is bar none the most popular, but that is because VTEC is the one people brag about most. All of Lexus' line has featured VVt-i for a few years now, but they don't have the huge stickers on the side because 45-something father's of 3 don't want stickers on their ES300. The GT-S on the other hand screams of its VVt-i system. Not many people know this, but not many companies have actual variable valve timing, the majority, including BMW's VANOS system is variable cam timing. There is a slight difference. The VTC part of i-VTEC is simliar to VANOS. To my knowledge, there is only 3 (4 if you count i-VTEC) kinds of variable valve timing on the market right now. VTEC, VVti-, and MIVEC. Of those 3 VVt-i is probably the best because the variation is done in the head, not in the cam as is the case with VTEC and MIVEC reducding paracidic loss to wight in the valve train. BMW is comming out with a system to match to its double VANOS system which consists of rocker arms situatuated on a movable fulcurum, allowing for infinite VTEC (not two stage anymore). That system will be the best once it comes out. The way I remember I tell the difference between variable cam timing and varible valve timing, is that vvt changes the actual lift and duration of the valves (as can be seen by the fatter lobes on a vtec cam). vct only changes the advance or retard of the cam relative to the speed of the engine, in essence only allowing a longer duration. A vvt system is a little more complicated, but allows for more power potential, as we all know because VTEC kicks ass!

PS I don't know much about MIVEC. I don't think it was ever offered in USDM. Does anyone know more about it?
Old 11-18-2002, 04:28 PM
SmOkIneLf

i remember there being Variable Valve timing on the 911TT or maybe the new one maybe i'm wrong but anyway there is an issue of Super Street i think that explains basically most Variable Valve timing from most companies
Old 11-18-2002, 06:45 PM
VtecApprentice

Thanks for all the reply . . but from all the post . . it seems like VVTi and the BMW technology were better then Vtec huh :madfawk: We are big fan of Vtec ~! how can this happens

1stGenCRXer ? ? Inspyral ? ? qtiger ? ? MrFatBooty ? ? any comments and opinion ? ? ? ? ?