Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Putting 1st b16a swap into 3rd gen Teg...

Old 10-31-2002, 03:05 PM
sir_crx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting 1st b16a swap into 3rd gen Teg...

Okay, I've done a lot of swaps but haven't done this...I bought a 1st gen b16a and am going to put it into my Teg...heres the question, what do I do about the speed sensor, I do not have the engine yet, it's on its way, I believe 88-91 B16A have a cable driven speedo, so how do I keep this cable tranny and make my speedo work. I do not have it in front of me, I just started thinking about the swap and this might be a prob.

BTW, please don't badger me w/ "why are you doin this?". I've had a CRX (signature) that walked the dog on a 92 CX w/ a 2nd gen B16A w/ similar mods, he ran a 14.6 and I beat him by 2 cars from a roll/ standstill/ whichever way it's the same outcome, fairly even in 1 and 2 but in 3 my car just pulled...so, I KNOW that this is a VERY GOOD engine and I can't see the reason in buying a 2nd gen that WON'T net me ANY fast times, I will be SC in Feb. so it should be a very please setup.

I'm just curious about the speedo and need some info.
Old 10-31-2002, 04:46 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

but you will be putting this engine into a heavier car. you shoulda just used the money you spent on the b16 and spent it on a turbo. but oh well.
Old 10-31-2002, 05:36 PM
dubcac
I

Originally posted by Snoopy
but you will be putting this engine into a heavier car. you shoulda just used the money you spent on the b16 and spent it on a turbo. but oh well.

:werd:

That b16 doesn't have enough torque to get the G3 moving. On to the swap. I have no idea why you are putting a first gen b16 into a G3. OBD0 motor, and either an OBD1, OBD2, or OBD2.2 chassis depending on year, that's asking for trouble. HASport makes a hydro to cable conversion kit though.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:45 PM
taylormadem5

HAHA, have fun with the wiring nightmare from hell. Not to mention your putting a Cable tranny engine into a Hydro tranny car. Its also an OBD 0 car, and your car is OBD2 so your gonna have some serious ECU issues. No offense but that engine is not gonna be worth trying to get to work in your car. My best friend tried to do an OBD2 to OBD1 swap had had issues constantly with it. I wish you the best of luck. Maybe running a TWR manifold with dual Webber Carbs may work..
Old 11-01-2002, 02:48 AM
sir_crx

Once again, maybe I wasn't clear, I'm choosing the 1st gen because of it's tranny and the fact I'm going FI (SC). I have driven a teg w/ a similar swap and it's faster than an ls and slower than a gsr...nonvtec is not the way to go, it's expensive and you never get what you want, I can put BIG cams in my LS and only get 150-160whp **** I can put mild cams in a b16a and achieve that, this is a no brainer...I'm the kinda person that knows how to do stuff, I am not stupid, I am getting an obd1 ecu which I'll be chipping to dohc vtec specs, I have a spare harness I'm ready to rewire ( about an hour worth of work, and I'm working on getting a distributor. 8lbs on a b16a makes more power in general than an ls will make. I can easily perform this swap but my only concern is the speedo...I'm not trying to be rude but this is ecactly what I didn't want to do, explain myself, as far as tourqe is concerned, in the 1/8 the hp difference on a B16A keeps the times VERY close...in the 1/4 the B16A will still be faster, that's even putting the same short geared tranny on the LS and makeing runs, even in the Teg, I know I am doing the right thing for me but expected some resistance from people, please, I only care about this q I asked, thats all, thanks.
Old 11-01-2002, 06:22 AM
taylormadem5

what is so special about the tranny in a 1st gen B16a1. Im sorry i just dont see the point i doing so complex just for the tranny thats in a 1st gen b16a, it doesnt have an LSD or any traction control, its cable not hydro but to each there own. Best of luck with the swap.
Old 11-01-2002, 07:52 PM
sir_crx

It's not so much special...just shorter gearing than a USDM TypeR tranny. It is the best tranny for what I want, not to mention cable tranny w/ LSD is like $550, where as hydro w/ LSD is like $900 +.
I guess you could say I like different stuff
Old 11-02-2002, 08:27 AM
taylormadem5

yeah, you could say that, but you seem to know what your doing. Best of luck to ya.
Old 11-02-2002, 10:03 AM
dubcac
I

Ok, so my LS should be slower than an SI right? More hp and less weight? How come I have never lost to one? And you think a b16 in a heavier car than an SI is going to beat an LS? I hope those gears aren't too short for you on boost....And I did answer your question, the swap is going to be a headache, especially hydro-cable conversion, but check with hasport, they make a kit for it.
Old 11-02-2002, 10:28 AM
qtiger

Originally posted by sir_crx
BTW, please don't badger me w/ "why are you doin this?". I've had a CRX (signature) that walked the dog on a 92 CX w/ a 2nd gen B16A w/ similar mods, he ran a 14.6 and I beat him by 2 cars from a roll/ standstill/ whichever way it's the same outcome, fairly even in 1 and 2 but in 3 my car just pulled...so, I KNOW that this is a VERY GOOD engine and I can't see the reason in buying a 2nd gen that WON'T net me ANY fast times, I will be SC in Feb. so it should be a very please setup.
#1: It will cost you more to put in that 1st gen than buy 2nd gen.

#2: You would be faster turboing your car than doing this swap and then adding a supercharger. In fact, I would bet you would be faster supercharging your LS engine rather than putting in the b16.

#3: Your CRX was lighter than the CX. Your GSR is 700 pounds heavier than your CRX... which means you'll be nearly a FULL SECOND SLOWER than the CRX was.

If you're really hot & bothered for this engine... here's my advice. Put the head and the trans on your engine and sell the block. This has a number of advantages. You'll be working with a block with less milage, more displacement, the low gear ratios of the 1st gen, and added displacement. Not to mention that wiring will become rather simple by comparison.

Originally posted by sir_crx
It's not so much special...just shorter gearing than a USDM TypeR tranny. It is the best tranny for what I want, not to mention cable tranny w/ LSD is like $550, where as hydro w/ LSD is like $900 +.
I guess you could say I like different stuff
Yeah, and the kit you need to put the cable tranny in your car is $250. And the cable trans is ~8 years older than the hydro trans.

You seem pretty set on this, but keep in mind we're just trying to save you money and aggravation. And a whole lot of disappointment.