Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

will a VTEC oil pump improve oil pressure in notec engine?

Old 09-16-2002, 04:22 AM
AwwsChwA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will a VTEC oil pump improve oil pressure in notec engine?

If I were to put a SOHC VTEC oil pump in my 91 CRX, would this make for just a little bit of raised oil pressure? I know huge amounts of oil pressure is bad, but it seems like improving oil flow and raising pressure just a bit would really help extend the life of an engine that's run hard. I plan to install an oil cooler as well.

And one other thing about oil pumps (sorry, this is long). I know you can take a dremel tool and kind of smooth out the flow of oil inside the pump. How hard is this to do? Are the points and grind spots easy to see?

Also, what's everyone's opinions on electric vs. mechanical guages? My dad's an old hotrodder from back in the day, and he swears by mechanical guages. But, I'm sure electric guages wouldn't sell so well if they were inaccurate. Any opinions? I'd like to put in a small guage pod, perhaps an oil pressure and oil temp guage, and maybe another one. Any ideas? thanks
Old 09-16-2002, 07:45 AM
6thGenCivic

The big problem with mechanical gagues is that you have to run an oil line through the fire wall into the cabin, I've seen these lines blow a few times and it's not a pretty site. and on the pump, i was just looking at my shop manual for my 97 civic and there is no difference in pressure specs for vtec and non vtec, so i'm not sure it would do you any good
Old 09-16-2002, 09:52 AM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.theoldone.com/articles/d_...building_tips/

As for mechanical gauges, the only one I would ever get is boost. For everything else, go electrical. It's just easier to pass a wire thru the firewall instead of a hose or capillary tubing. When it comes to fuel and oil pressure gauges, a mechanical gauge's capillary tubing might burst and spray you with some nice fuel or hot oil, which would probably be loooooads of fun, especially if something were to catch fire.
Old 09-18-2002, 05:03 PM
AwwsChwA

yea, Widmer has some kickass advice. I've been readin his posts for several months now. Thanks for the advice, I'll look into electrical guages.