Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

need advice on EXTREMELY soft hydro clutch pedal action

Old 08-25-2002, 12:24 AM
AwwsChwA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice on EXTREMELY soft hydro clutch pedal action

Ok, this isn't about a Honda, but yall can help just as much as anyone can. I replaced the clutch in my friends 91 Plymouth Laser (2.0L non-turbo) today. Clutch was TOASTED, thanks to this guy thinking he's Don the Snake Prudhomme every time he gets into his car...anyway, the clutch went smoothly, everything came apart and went back together well...but...

before we started the clutch job, I noted an EXTREMELY weak clutch pedal. I tried bleeding the clutch slave cylinder, did no good. We bought a rebuild kit for the slave cylinder, it fixed a very very leaky slave cylinder, but still wasn't the source of the weak pedal.

To drive the car, you have to pump the clutch pedal 7 or 8 times before it will shift into 1st gear. Once the car's moving, it'll shift thru all the gears ok. Also, the clutch is engaged the second you start to let the pedal up off the floor. I know hydraulic clutches are supposed to be self-adjusting, so what could be causing the clutch to engage so soon?

Should I rebuild the clutch master cylinder? Could there be a blockage in the clutch fluid line? Any ideas are welcome. thanks
Old 08-27-2002, 04:46 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Clutch MC. If you bleed the system and it still feels weak there's normally a leak somewhere.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:38 AM
doctorsohc
I HATE SCAMMERS!!!!

had a bad pressure plate once that did the same thing. I'd try bleeding everything first.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:17 AM
preylude99

sounds like either the pressure plate or the master cylinder, try the easier first, the master cylinder, does it lose any clutch fluid at all or not?