Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Some engine basic and buildup question :)

Old 08-06-2002, 05:13 PM
VtecApprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some engine basic and buildup question :)

Hi everyone i have a couple of newbie question for you all

1) I realise that for engine block . . there is long and short block . . what is the difference between these 2 blocks ? ? ?

2) And i realise that on most of the topic . . people always replies something like "Whether you wanna built a daily driving or race engine" . . i'm wondering what is the different between these 2 engine ? ? technically ? ? ? ? and why issit a race engine should not be use as daily driven engine ? ? ?

3) Please bare with me with this stupid question what is detonation ? ? ? ?

4) If i get a B20 block with a B16 head and i wanted to get a aftermarket head gasket . . should i look for one which is made for a B16 or B20 ? ? ? ?

5) Erm what is the big big bhp number you ppl ever seen before on for a NA and FI CRVtec built up engine ? ? ? ? And does weight really metters alot on the performance ? ? Lets say if i have an additional of 500 pounds on my car . . about much much slower will i go ? ? ?

ThankZz whoever answered my question

And 1stGenCRXer ThaNkZ for you AIM reply i really appreciate it
Old 08-06-2002, 06:58 PM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) short block - the block itself, internals may or may not be included
long block = block, head, and internals; manifolds, distributor and accessories may or may not be included

2) a race engine may not be streetable because of a high octane requirement, high emissions levels, poor fuel economy, non-street-friendly powerband, etc.

3) Detonation is when the air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber is ignited early(and not by the ignition components), usually from excessive heat or lack of fuel(running lean).
Old 08-06-2002, 07:04 PM
-KangaRod-
Captain

4) there are two ways you can do what is called a CrVtec (B20 matted to VTEC head) you can modify the block and the B16 headgasket (harder and not usually practiced) or modify the head and use a CRV head gasket.
On a related note, LsVtec is sort of becoming a pop culture movement..they could call themselves the movement of the dowel pins...

I just made that one up.

5) A fair number to expect from your CrVtec with out too much money or sacraficing streetablilty would be in the 210-220 range, with over 140 lb-feet of torque. I'm not too familiar with forced induction variants, so I'll let someone else field that one.

6) A quick (real basic, not totally acurate) formula to use for drag racing is
100 lbs = 10 horsepower = 1/10th of a second
so to anwser your question, yes 500 lbs makes a huge difference, if you are driving a hatchie thats like 1/4 of your weight, or a teg 1/5th. Are you telling me if you weighed a 25% more tomorrow you wouldn't notice the difference?
Old 08-06-2002, 09:47 PM
VtecApprentice

ThaNKzZ dUde for your reply

Because i was thinking if i want a nice clean looking car . . there is sure some additional weight on it . . So i wanna see whether weight make lots of different onot . .

And for the head and the block . . can you please roughly tell me what is the mod to be done ? ? ? ? pleAse thankzZ
Old 08-07-2002, 03:01 AM
DSC
Long way from home

Originally posted by VtecApprentice

And for the head and the block . . can you please roughly tell me what is the mod to be done ? ? ? ? pleAse thankzZ
www.crvtec.com
Its pretty complicated. I would advice against it unless you totally understand everything. I dont. h:
Old 08-08-2002, 07:50 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Default Re: Some engine basic and buildup question :)

Originally posted by VtecApprentice
And 1stGenCRXer ThaNkZ for you AIM reply i really appreciate it
np Sorry I wasn't around for this thread earlier.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:51 AM
VtecApprentice

np Sorry I wasn't around for this thread earlier.
haha no need for that ^_^ the people here are all very helpful you have introduced me a good resource tHAnKZzZ :thumbup:
Old 08-09-2002, 10:50 AM
civicD16z

is the B20 block with a B16 head better than a b18 in a civic??? just wondering and also wich one would be cheaper??
Old 08-15-2002, 10:59 AM
SECRET AP1
AP1/BB6

Originally posted by civicD16z
is the B20 block with a B16 head better than a b18 in a civic??? just wondering and also wich one would be cheaper??
B20 would definately give you a bigger push than B18C. Price depends on how much of the work you plan to do yourself. If you're paying someone to build you a B20, it may come at a high price depending on who you go to, how well you know them, and how well they even know how to build one. Keep in mind, buying a complete motor ensures you that at least you're not getting shortcutted anywhere. the motor is complete as-is and was factory built. having someone else build a B20VTEC for you could be complicated.
Old 08-16-2002, 09:21 PM
pimpdaddypat

Default b18c or b20

i have had two differnt friends do crVTEC's in there cars and they wheren't to impressed by them... they said it had some good torque but they just wheren't impressed by the over all preformance of the engine.. i would recommend doing a GSR and just adding what ever you can get your hands on...
i recommend it for two reasons... 1. it will all be peiced from one engine so there won't be to much mixing and matching
2. since you are just getting into this hybird engine stuff its not a great idea to just jump to a engine project... its not like legos where it can just fit any way you want it to connect.. its alot of work and skills....

i mean if anything if you want to be a hybird so bad and do a project i would start with a lsvtec thats not as bad as the crvtec
but if i was in your shoes and i had the money i would deffently do a GSR all motor.....

hopefully i will one day