Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Boosted R with either AEM EMS or Hondata

Old 04-08-2004, 09:11 AM
Boosted R 25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boosted R with either AEM EMS or Hondata

I have a 2000 Integra Type R with a Rev Hard Turbo kit. Everything else is stock. I will be doing these mods shortly.

Thermal 3" Exhaust
High Flow Catalytic Converter
Custom 3" Downpipe
550cc Injectors
AEM Fuel Rail
AEM Fuel Pressure Regulator
Dyno Tuning
Greddy Profec Boost Controller
Having a High/Low Boost seting of 6 psi (daily driving) and 10 psi (race applications)
AND EITHER --> a Hondata s200b or an AEM EMS

My tuner mainly uses AEM and is very good with it. However, they have tuned with tuned with many other systems just not Hondata. I have talked to people with the hondata and they love it. I am hoping that my car with idle as close to stock as possible and that it will drive like (or similar to) a factory installed turbo. Can i do this with the AEM and which system should I go with?
Old 04-08-2004, 09:33 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Generally speaking you want to go with whatever system your tuner is most competent with. It's a pretty powerful system, moreso than Hondata really. Whether or not it drives nicely has everything to do with how it's tuned, but assuming your tuner is good they should be able to get it to run nicely.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:30 PM
qtiger

If you tuner is proficient with the AEM, do it. It is a thousand times more powerful than Hondata.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:56 PM
Boosted R 25

Is there anybody runnign either of these setups?
Old 04-12-2004, 09:17 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run Hondata. I gained 40 whp just from tuning the thing from the basemap on 10psi.

I agree with the above posts. There's no point in getting the AEM EMS if no one can tune it. It's a pretty hardcore EMS that requires an experienced tuner. The system is still fairly new so finding a competant tuner that won't require your first born in payment would be a good find.

www.Hondata.com has a listing of where their certified tuners are located. I don't know how AEM deals with their tuners, but I do know for a fact that Hondata hosts tuning classes for their tuners. Mine recently returned from a class they had for tuning the new Kseries unit.

GL man.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:28 AM
Boosted R 25

My tuner, tunes with the AEM EMS system everyday. They are compitent with the system. THey have never tuned with the Hondata but said they would if I wanted.

Should I go with the AEM or Hodnata, knowing that?
Old 04-12-2004, 10:03 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Have you consulted them? I guess you can't get a good response from them if they haven't used both. If they tune well with the AEM, go AEM. Better that since they don't have any experience with Hondata tuning.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:02 PM
Boosted R 25

They told me that they are capable of tuning each one. They said with both they will make my car idle/drive nicely. Is tuning basically the same with both?? And they are friends with Payne Tech (who just tuned a hondata Type R with my same setup) and could get tips from them. So which one should i go with?
Old 04-13-2004, 05:37 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

I don't think they tune the same. The EMS has a LOT more settings than the Hondata as it alone controls your engine while the Hondata somewhat relys on the basic programming of the stock ECU.

You can do ANYTHING you want with the AEM EMS. If you want that kind of power and tunability, get the AEM.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:50 PM
Boosted R 25

I really don't care about doing ANYTHING I want. All i want to do is have a tuned car that will idle as close to stokc as possible and drive close to a factory installed turbo car. That is ALL i care about. I am not gonna use other features.

Quick Reply: Boosted R with either AEM EMS or Hondata