Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Engine acting strange

Old 02-16-2004, 11:49 AM
Buddah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine acting strange

Like the thread title says, some weird things happened on the way home, and I am trying to figure out what may be the cause, so any input is really appreciated.

On the way home (about a 15 mile trip) at about the halfway mark the engine seemed to rev up for no real apparant reason, I have a 96 dx (manual) and I was not giving it any extra gas, I was probably going around 45mph at the time. Because I have a DX, I have no Tach, so I do not really know how high it was revving up, it wasn't terribly high, but deffinetly noticeable. I pulled to the side of the road and put the car in neutral, and it continued to rev at a constant level (like I said, I can't tell you what rpm it was exactly).

I killed the engine and restarted it, and it was still running at high in idle, so I popped the hood and checked my fluids, since I had the oil changed recently, and everything was okay. The temperature of the engine was where it normally is, so I don't THINK that was the problem.

The only two things that have crossed my mind so far are maybe the throttle was stuck down a little bit, but I honestly don't think it was, although I don't remember now, when looking back if I had really tryed to feather it much.. and the other thing was I was behind a semi and it was fairly dusty because there is a lot of roadwork, and maybe some dust got through the air filter, and I don't know if that would even do anything, but those are the only two things that crossed my mind.

Sorry the post was so long but, thats the story. Any input would really be appreciated.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:28 PM
dom93hatch
more meat, more fire

Does your gas pedal move when it revs by itself?
Old 02-16-2004, 01:48 PM
Buddah

I dont think it was moving, unless I pressed on it, but it drove the rest of the way home fine after I put it in reverse and got back on the road. If that helps what you were thinking any. Im just afraid it might happen again tommorow or something if It was some kind of serious problem.