Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Misc. Honda/Acura: Check CV Boots

Old 04-06-2003, 08:02 AM
Jokerluv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can use a a wet silicone spray(3M) on your non ripped boots to prolong life!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-06-2003, 10:05 AM
REbornHONDAneer
Honda Biased

Originally posted by Jokerluv
you can use a a wet silicone spray(3M) on your non ripped boots to prolong life!!!!!!!!!!

thats a very good point, glad you brought that up. I heard someone say that for your weather trimming around your car. I'm gonna do that the next oil change.

And if anyone asks, you can get silicon spray at most automotive parts stores, and maybe at wal-mart, not sure.

Dave
Old 07-04-2003, 10:09 AM
fook
Boosted D Series

my axle with a missing boot clicked for a while, then i lowered the car, and it stopped clicking, ive been driving on it for about a year and a half with no issues

course now im pulling the motor so ill probably take care of it, its only 65 bucks for a new axle
Old 07-04-2003, 01:14 PM
MikeR

yea you can get universal boots at any local auto parts store, and also get the axles there, there about a 3rd of the cost of a new one from a dealer,
Old 07-04-2003, 08:00 PM
wagon89

From my exp I have bought rebuilt axles from napa that where garbage out of the box.
Old 07-05-2003, 07:38 PM
Technodigifreak
Hot-Modder

Originally posted by AccordCoup94
my cv boots were torn on my 94 accord for well over a year and i did not have any probles driving. honda made some really good axels. the only annoying thing about it was the loud clicking sound everytime i turned.

*shudders*, first of all, yes honda makes some very good axles, but they are notorious (along with all other imports) for torn/ripped cvboots. that boot is what keeps the lubrication on the joints of your axles, when the boot tears, the joint is no longer being lubricated... 2 things happen then, you get lubricant on your brakes and your joints wear out. the lubricant is hell on your pads and rotors. and the joint will eventually snap, at which point you will have one wheel no longer turning, wich causes your differential to compensate for the slippage.

so in other words, you're going nowhere fast, and all because you don't pay attention to BASIC maintence
Old 07-05-2003, 08:28 PM
REbornHONDAneer
Honda Biased

Originally posted by Technodigifreak
*shudders*, first of all, yes honda makes some very good axles, but they are notorious (along with all other imports) for torn/ripped cvboots. that boot is what keeps the lubrication on the joints of your axles, when the boot tears, the joint is no longer being lubricated... 2 things happen then, you get lubricant on your brakes and your joints wear out. the lubricant is hell on your pads and rotors. and the joint will eventually snap, at which point you will have one wheel no longer turning, wich causes your differential to compensate for the slippage.

so in other words, you're going nowhere fast, and all because you don't pay attention to BASIC maintence
very nicely put!!! it also translates into CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASHHHHHHHHH!!!

Dave
Old 07-05-2003, 10:50 PM
Technodigifreak
Hot-Modder

Originally posted by REbornHONDAneer
very nicely put!!! it also translates into CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASHHHHHHHHH!!!

Dave
thanks dave

i may not know much about engines and trannies, but i can answer just about any question you have on frontends and brake systems, the same goes for most of the rest of the car.
Old 07-06-2003, 05:28 AM
REbornHONDAneer
Honda Biased

Originally posted by Technodigifreak
thanks dave

i may not know much about engines and trannies, but i can answer just about any question you have on frontends and brake systems, the same goes for most of the rest of the car.
cool...then i have a question for ya. If my steering wheel pulsates bad when breaking in my Accord. Does this leave ONLY one oucome of warped or uneven surfaced rotors? Will resurfacing correct this? Can you almost guarantee your answer? :-)

thanx!

Dave
Old 07-06-2003, 05:43 PM
Technodigifreak
Hot-Modder

Originally posted by REbornHONDAneer
cool...then i have a question for ya. If my steering wheel pulsates bad when breaking in my Accord. Does this leave ONLY one oucome of warped or uneven surfaced rotors? Will resurfacing correct this? Can you almost guarantee your answer? :-)

thanx!

Dave
i don't guarantee anything,

the most obvious answer is:

yes, you do have at least one warped/heatspotted rotor

2 other suggestions are,

check the conditions of the caliper bolts, it they are not tight, they can rattle and cause a similair vibration

the other and least likely is an improperly seated pad

---------------- or in a worst case senario-- your abs system could be severely malfunctioning

but of course Ocam's razor dictates, Yes it most likely its warped rotors, and in most cases turning out your rotors will solve the problem

so stop slamming on your brakes at 150mph! :slap: