Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Lower ball joint removal

Old 03-08-2004, 01:16 AM
winniedad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower ball joint removal

Ok, I am having too much fun , I am trying to remove a drivers side lower ball joint from my 2000 accord ex 4cylinder coupe. I managed to get the lower part of the ball joint off the LCA but I cannot get the ball joint out of the knuckle (I believe that is what it is called). Anyhow I believe that is pressed in and needs to be pressed out from the bottom. What else do I have to remove such as half shaft, tie rod end, upper ball joint to get that thing out of there? I have a Chilton's manual but it is pretty useless and did a search on this put have come up empty handed. Anyone?
Old 03-13-2004, 12:14 AM
Rex-MiniMe
Hate list:Hicks, Altezzas

Well, how about this. If its anything like the Integra/civic double wishbone setup. Then you need to take bottom strut bolt out, knock it out with a hammer when the nut is off. Then if your as far as you say, I can't get the most greatest mental image here, unlock your steering and turn the hub as far left as you can and Take a huge malet that you can hold with one hand and beat on the Lower arm around where the joint slides in. Sometimes you have to put a jack underneath that lower arm and jack it up gradually while beating on the ball joint area, Watch the threads, dont mess em up! Anyways, I guess I could be a lot more helpful if I was actually there, but Good luck man.
Honda = genious's
Old 03-16-2004, 10:33 AM
sspire

when i replaced the lower ball joint in my civic it was very easy to do with the right tools. after removing the ball joint from the LCA i just removed the snap ring then pounded it out with a ball pein hammer. but when i was putting it in and i found that press fit ball joints are a bitch to press in. so after beating on it for hours at a time all it took was a little tap on the bottom and it popped back out. so for installation i would suggest you go to AUTOZONE and rent a ball joint puller/pusher (c-clamp with some specialized fittings). the tol is your best bet. as for the axles, i would suggest taking the driverside out, i honestly see no need to remove the half shaft. hope i could help.