Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

seperating lower ball joint

Old 12-20-2003, 08:14 PM
spaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seperating lower ball joint

ok, so i'm having the hardest time getting the lower ball joint out of the lca on my integra. a few months back when i replaced my clutch, i just used a bfh and whacked on the lca, and it popped right out. now i have tried the bfh on the lca, tried pickle fork, got frustrated and bfh'ed the bottom of the ball joint. nothing is working. it hasnt even budged, as far as i can tell. i'm out of ideas. someone help me please
Old 12-21-2003, 06:45 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grab a pickle fork or borrow one (they are about 10 bucks) and a BFH and have at it.

Its not always the easiest process but a few good whacks with the BFH should pop that sucker clean off.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:37 AM
firebane

hahah BFH! Thats what I had todo.. BFH and a pickle fork
Old 12-30-2003, 11:46 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

You can do this without a pickle fork. once you get it in the air with the wheels turned away from the side you're working on, the wheel off and the, and the car on jackstands...

1. remove the cotter pin and nut from the lower ball joint
2. get someone with a 3' pry bar to pry down on the swing arm from the subframe of the car
3. BFH the hell out of the joint from the side being careful not to hit your friend

it will pop loose after a few good whacks and you're not going to hurt it like this.

this way, you don't tear the lower ball joint boot like you will with a pickle fork; thus, you won't be forced to replace that part. all you'll need is a new cotter pin, a big pry-bar, and someone that's not afraid of you swinging the BFH.

:thumbup:
Old 12-31-2003, 12:20 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only tore one boot ever with a pickle fork. If you make sure to get it below the boot, you're good.

You could always get a two prong separator. Or a bolt style ball joint separator...

Many tools available to get the job done.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:21 PM
bambbrose

besides tearing the boot the pickle fork can damage the ball joint itself, I wouldn't recommend it.. the best way is what Jafro mentioned... thats how most techs do it