Notices

tranny install

Old 10-06-2003, 01:44 PM
crxb16er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny install

ok i just put in my new act clutch and flywheel but now i cant get the zc tranny back onto the block. used the clutch alignment tool, everything is lined up. used ball bearing grease on the splines that the input shaft slide into... but it wont drop into place, tried tipping the whole engine on its side so that i can slide the tranny down onto it and it still wont allign properly, tried to tighten the bolts to get it to press it together and that doesnt work either? any help suggestions? input appreciated? TIA, everything is that right part and everything matches up, the parts fit perfectly i made sure when they were off the engine... grr
Old 10-06-2003, 02:17 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

88 trannies had 21 splines on the clutch, 89-91 had 20 splines on the clutch. Sounds like you have the wrong clutch.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:18 PM
crxb16er

its the same tranny that came with the engine, but i'll double check the clutch disc and make sure it mates up correctly, i put my old clutch disc up to the tranny and it matched but now that im thinking about it i never did put the new one up to it. so i'll check that tonight, thanks for pointing out a simple thing i possibly overlooked :thumbup:
Old 10-06-2003, 02:20 PM
brtecson
pukimonster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OT:

so did you use a hybrid tranny [zc 1-4, hf 5 gear]? i think that was you that posted something about doing that:dunno: just curious as to how it worked out if you did do that...
Old 10-06-2003, 02:40 PM
crxb16er

yah i swapped over the 5th gear, everything works fine so far, now its just getting the tranny back onto the block with the new act clutch and act 11.5 lb flywheel, i took lots of pics if someone wants to host them
Old 10-06-2003, 04:14 PM
crxb16er

ok ACT has no clutch discs for 88 model zc's which happens to be the one ive got. so im just gonna put in my old clutch disc with the new act pressure plate and act flywheel, called act and they said they just use the stock clutch disc anyway and the only thing special was the pressure plate which i can still use. so thats how itll have to work. so for future reference if uve got an 88 u can not use the act clutch disc that comes with an act clutch kit, and just use the stock si 88 clutch disc instead, luckily i have one available for free, and i called my retailer and they will give me a credit on the disc i cant use. fourthgenhatch u were right, thanks for the heads up on the spline count.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:16 PM
crxb16er

if anyone later needs a clutch disc i still have 2 in old 88 hf trannies that i can pull the part from, hit me up in the future if anyone runs into this problem. lol its a good thing ive got spare engines and trannies to pick thru...
Old 10-06-2003, 05:14 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

I got a whole clutch kit at my local auto parts store for like $100. Thats all. I wouldn't use an old one. I would probably replace it everytime I opened my tranny (unless I did it very frequently).
Old 10-07-2003, 10:27 AM
crxb16er

not reusing the clutch just the clutch disc, im replacing the flywheel and clutch pressure plate which is the part that most often fails, the inner organic clutch disc is the only part i'm reusing because of its spline count, but i'll check the prices of just a new clutch disc. autozone.com
Old 10-07-2003, 10:43 AM
crxb16er

yah i'm gonna replace it, a cumberland replacement will only cost 21.99 with a 6 dollar core charge. for the clutch disc so might as well do it while ive got the engine openned up and out of the car