Notices

leaky hatch

Old 09-30-2003, 09:17 AM
malfuncion
Z20 H8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaky hatch

ok my hatch leaks...but im not so sure it leaks from the seal. it looks as though it is coming through the hydraulic lifts of the hatch. any idea how to fix this other than like pipe dope or pipe tape? is there any drain holes or anything that run along the hatch that could be leaking? could this all be fixed with soem rear hatch seal? any comment appreciated...
Old 10-01-2003, 06:43 AM
doIhaveBDIs
Banned

geeeez welcome to the crx/hatch leaking life...

this is a problem which cna't really be fixed...

suppously its the rubber trim on the hatch thats ****ed up n it comes in threw the hydrolic arms...

one thing u can do is clean out ur sunroof drains from the rear of the car...behind ur tailight coevrs on the inside....helped me a alot...

but its def not assiocated witht the following i know for a fact the sunroof, the rear squirter
Old 10-01-2003, 08:50 AM
malfuncion
Z20 H8R

yeah i got an hf so i know its not that on mine. heh. but yeah it is comin through the hydraulics...i called the honda dealer its 45$ for a new seal. i dunno if it would really be worth it or not..
Old 10-01-2003, 01:13 PM
crxb16er

nah just dont park it outside when raining if at all possible i left my crx in the rain outside of my garage for 4 days and it has a lake in the back hatch area, good thing its stripped or itd be really nasty. probably had like 2 buckets of water in there
Old 10-10-2003, 12:05 PM
pc_in_al

First check your sunroof drain holes inside the sunroof assembly to see that they are not blocked. You can just barely make these holes out from the top of the car, sunroof open, and look toward the front corners.

If those are cleared, your problem is the body seam on the top of the car. The two black rubber strips that run from the front to the rear of the roof are there to cover up two body seams that are spot welded together. Carefully remove the rubber strip, startring from the back - don't get aggressive, the clips that hold it in place are likely fragile by now. In the bottom of that channel, you should see a bead of sealant - likely dried out and cracked. Scrape all the old sealant out, then clean and dry. Then re-apply a good silicone sealant. This seam must be sealed along the top of the car and down into the hatch opening. The water will then run down the side of the rear hatch and off the back end of the car. I fixed one this way - no more leaks. My second CRX is now occasionally doing the same thing, so I'll soon be doing the same myself. Let me know how it goes, eh?
Old 10-10-2003, 12:38 PM
malfuncion
Z20 H8R

word. thats really informative. i will definately check it out b/c it sounds to me that is the problem. thanks bro
Old 10-10-2003, 01:46 PM
jc836

Could be-but in my case not now. How do I know-we put a new roof skin on with new seam seals and it also got caulked at both ends. BTW: it is not the squirter and the sunroof is completely out of the car.
I have no idea where it is coming in except possibly around the taillights and those seals were good when we took the car apart. Could be, as suggested, the actual hatch seal is the only part left from the car that I did not replace. Makes me wonder
Old 10-13-2003, 06:59 AM
pc_in_al

When my REX was leaking at these seams, the water would come into the car at the point of where the hydraulic lifts for the hatch met with the body. I could see it dripping onto the top of the "cargo box" in the back. I resealed these seams and no longer had a problem.

jc836, do you see water coming in there? Where does it collect in your car? You say the seams were sealed at "each end" - do you mean from one end to the other on both sides? I hope so.

malfunction, what's up w/ yours?
Old 10-13-2003, 08:04 AM
malfuncion
Z20 H8R

mine came in from where the hydros connected to the frame also....hopefully the seam fix will help me out..will find out later today.
Old 10-15-2003, 03:40 AM
jc836

Actually it is the ends of the rubber/metal seam fillers that was sealed-the pieces are brand new. The hatch hinges are also sealed. Water is forming a puddle in the spare tire well. For me this whole thing is a nuisance sine it is now a race car. Still I want to fix it.