Notices

rough est on body ?

Old 09-21-2003, 03:04 PM
doIhaveBDIs
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough est on body ?

hey guys, well i decided that im going to get a ww kit, vis zc cf hood, paint job and body work...

here is my totals:

WW Kit $590
VIS hod $450
Paint $500 (about)
to be painted $400

$1800 about but im missing body work...

im not sure how much its gonna be...

i don't know if i should just get new front fenders or just have the old ones all "aligned" and filled/snaded with my doors, and i need my sunroof rust and driver side rear quarter pannel rust fixed...

let me know wha u think
Old 09-22-2003, 05:55 AM
schwanginpt
Nadene will Return

as far as the fenders go, you should probably see how much they will cost compared to how much "new" (Aftermarket OEM) ones will cost.. i will go with whatever is the cheapest. And don't do a lot, if any, filler. If you want the car to be done right, it should all be done with metal, the right way. make sure they are fixing the rust with new metal, not filler. same with fenders.. if they can't bolt em on and line them up with slight modifications, and they want to fill em, go with new fenders so they line up properly.

Also, if you want to do this right, you should have them align the hood, fenders, and front bumper cover and headlights. you're gonna want all the gaps to line up right, and since you're at this point.. might as well have them do that too.

What color are you painiting it?? i know you had a couple ideas, but just wondering what you decided on.

Hope this helps
Old 09-22-2003, 06:01 AM
doIhaveBDIs
Banned

Originally posted by schwanginpt

Also, if you want to do this right, you should have them align the hood, fenders, and front bumper cover and headlights. you're gonna want all the gaps to line up right, and since you're at this point.. might as well have them do that too.

What color are you painiting it?? i know you had a couple ideas, but just wondering what you decided on.

Yea cheapest way on the fenders...
Def getting everything aligned in front...
Same color because its rare/different

with the body filler, it not going to make "that big of a difference" since im getting a kit anyways, its not like they are going to use 100lbs of it....

my dents i have ar not even deep at all, you can even see em, only when u look very closly, its all about just getting everything smooth and aligned correctly.

and should i put the kit on first then paint? or paint then kit?

i was thinking maybe the kit should go on, all of it except the door moldings have it painted then put the door molding pieces back on?

any suggestions?
Old 09-22-2003, 06:15 AM
doIhaveBDIs
Banned

that my general idea, but with my silver slip-ons and a crx not a civic :P
Old 09-22-2003, 06:39 AM
doIhaveBDIs
Banned

Old 09-22-2003, 09:13 AM
schwanginpt
Nadene will Return

Originally posted by doIhaveBDIs

with the body filler, it not going to make "that big of a difference" since im getting a kit anyways, its not like they are going to use 100lbs of it....

and should i put the kit on first then paint? or paint then kit?

i was thinking maybe the kit should go on, all of it except the door moldings have it painted then put the door molding pieces back on?

any suggestions?
I wasn't suggesting the no body filler thing cause of weight. I know you want to get a kit, so that wasn't an issue. i was just saying to use metal cause its the right way to do it, and since you're at this point, it would make sense (to me) to do it now, and not later on.

As far as paint. Paint the car by itself, then paint the kit. then put the kit on. if you paint the kit while its on the car:

1. the kit might not get painted fully, and there might be blank spots.
2. if you drive or something and the car flexes, it could crack the paint.

A good shop will even want to probably want to paint the fenders off the car. So, if it were me, i would paint the car alone, then the kit.